While venturing through my sophomore year of high school, I came across a word so unique, I had never heard one quite like it before. At first I was so puzzled by the word I ask myself what could this word mean? The spelling is like nothing I have ever seen before. I ask my teacher “What does this wonderful word mean?”. In response she explained to me that an onomatopoeia is a word that can be associated with the sound it makes.This surprised me, I pondered how this word that seems to be so advanced and sophisticated could have such a simple concept. That day I found the most fascinating word in the English dictionary ,onomatopoeia.

When asked what my favorite word is, most people are surprised with my response. This is normally followed by a second question like “why?”. “Why not?” I ask, the word onomatopoeia is thought to be such a complex word at first glance, but with more consideration you realize it has such a simple meaning.The word onomatopoeia is also very entertaining to say, it rolls off your tongue. Try saying onomatopoeia three times fast.  It could provide hours of entertainment! It’s also fun to spell and contains every vowel with the exception of “u”. Another reason why I love this wonderful word is because there are so many ways you can describe it. .If someone asks you what an onomatopoeia stands for you can simply say that it is a word that describes a sound such as buzz,snort,or tweet.It’s a word of thousand words.  

The word holds a special place in my heart as being one of the most interesting word I have come across. It is nice to find pleasures in life as simple as a favorite word. Although I do not have a deep connection with this unique word, I do find it a very fantastic term that I hope to remember for the rest of my life.

Photo by IMAGINE!NATION

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Word of a Thousand Words by Natalie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.