The population of the United States makes up only 5% of the world’s total population yet we house 25% of the world’s inmates.  If petty crimes that don’t put others lives at risk didn’t yield such high punishment, I believe that rates of incarceration would go down and with that comes a decrease in taxpayer spending.  I am not saying these things should go unpunished but locking someone away and paying for their every need is less of a punishment to me than having something on your record and living in the real world.  If the justice system could find a way to have criminals reap consequences, things could change for the better.

I think crimes, not including murder, rape, abuse, etc, should be punished with things like community service, house arrest, or a mark on your permanent record.  Having something on your record can affect the way you live your life drastically.  A slash on a perfect past can cause someone previously capable of getting a job to be unable to have a job, or lose their current job.  To me this punishment is more severe than spending a life locked up doing nothing, and it doesn’t put an extra burden on taxpayers who are not criminals.  The extra money that was previously going to prisoners, could then be spent on deserving people for things like housing, food, education, or other basic necessities of life.

There are solutions to the problems our nation faces.  The biggest problem we have is making changes that can solve those problems.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mass Incarceration by Maddie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick 5 months ago

I am your secret writing pal!

2. Profile photo of Samantha
    Samantha 10 months ago

The mass incarcerations have been an issue. The fact that 25% of the world’s population is incarcerated does not seem right to me. The fact that this person talks about how petty crimes should have a not as severe punishment is something i agree with. Just like the fact that these little things make drastic changes in someone’s life is not good to me. Especially if those things are false.

• Profile photo of Maddie Author
      Maddie 10 months ago

Oh, I meant that 25% of the world’s inmates can be found in America not that 25% of the world’s population is incarcerated.