https://c2.staticflickr.com

Have you ever heard of the word, serendipity? If you have, you were lucky and if you haven’t, you are just about to get lucky.

This word, not widely known, was on my pencil case I bought few years ago. It was printed on a small tag that was attached on the side of the pencil case. The pencil case was made with flower printed leather, very simple and pastel toned. Also very expensive.

I bought this pencil case with my friend, who I called Zya(pronounced Z-yah). I was going to move, and we promised ourselves not to forget the happy times we had. To remind each other everyday, we bought a pencil case to carry all the times.

There we saw the word ‘serendipity’. What was that? Zya and I searched the word, pronounced it, and talked about it. We both liked it. The word itself was pretty. The sound this word gives makes me think of a curvy road that is surrounded by flowers and trees – Japanese cherry blossom, to be specific. And I imaged a young lady, dressed in pink, walking along the way with her mind so innocent. That’s exactly how this word came up to me.

Zya and I looked up the meaning of serendipity and it said: “fortunate happenstance,” “pleasant surprise,” or “unexpected happiness.” What could that be?

At first I thought it was something big. Like a lottery. Something that comes when you are really lucky. Later I found it wrong.

After I moved out of the town, I carried that pencil case as I promised. Occasionally, the memories with my friend would pop up when my eyes met the pencil case. Feelings that I had with my friend, or in school, or anywhere else. It would just remind me of happy thoughts. I was happy.

Then I realized what serendipity really was. It wasn’t that big deal. It was what I get everyday, just that it didn’t feel lucky before realizing that fact that the source of luck was right besides me. I just had to acknowledge, and thank about it. Appreciate the fact that I felt happy at the moment, to feel lucky.

So think about your serendipity. And Zya, I don’t know if you will ever going to read this, but know that I wish you a serendipity everyday. Still love you so much, my friend.

CC BY-SA 4.0 You Are Just About to Get Lucky by Jee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.