Legendary. You must have done something right. In your glory days, the good ol’ times, the “When I was your age,” type deals. What you did will be known, and talked about for generations to come. The legacy you have created is second to none.

Actually, it hasn’t been seen before, done before, or even provoked someone’s mind that you could be the greatest ever. The young boys and girls aspire to be a version of you, counting down in their driveways, “Three, two, one!” and never missing the game winner for the championship game.

You made Mama and Papa proud, Grandma isn’t the only one calling you baby, and you can’t imagine what might possibly be next for you. Whether the glass was half empty, or half full, was irrelevant to you. The only thing that mattered to you, was whether the glass had something in it at all.

The goal had nothing to do with the activity, it was just to be the absolute best version of you, because who else does what you can do like you? Often times you were asked “Why?” and could you really answer with a good answer?

You curved it, and instead fired back with, “Don’t ask me ‘why?’ ask me ‘how?'” Never did they ask you either. You will never answer the “How?” question, however one day I hope to sit at the same table with you one day at Thanksgiving.

With you, me, and all the rest of the legends all at one table never speaking of it, but all in agreement on where we stand and what we came for. Legends don’t have to speak on what they did, the world already knows.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Are You Here For? by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Cris 11 months ago

Dear Kevin,
    I am intrigued with your writing on legends. One thing that you said that stands out to me is, ” With you, me, and all the rest of the legends all at one table never speaking of it, but all in agreement on where we stand and what we came for. Legends don’t have to speak on what they did, the world already knows.” I think this is powerful because it emphasizes the great achievements and determination it takes to be a legend. If you don’t have to explain what you did to become a legend because the world already knows, you would have to have done some really great things. Your post makes me look forward to reading what you write next because reading this made me feel inspired to not let people get to my head and just keep moving forward.