Women should have the right to chose what happens to their bodies when it comes to pregnancy. Even if you do not believe this stance, most people admit there are some instances where abortion is necessary. Abortion clinics across the country are being closed down because of laws put in place solely to strongarm clinics into closing. The laws are the Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers laws, also known as TRAP laws. These laws are said to be for the health benefit of women, but they really aren’t.

According to the Associate Press, these laws are responsible for the closure of over 70 clinics in the US. The TRAP laws lay out a set of rules and regulations that abortion clinics have to follow. For example, each clinic must be partnered with a hospital and have admitting privileges and every corridor must be wide enough to be able to have two gurneys pass each other in the halls. At face value these rules seem sensible and helpful, but let’s dive a little deeper. These clinics do not need to partner with hospitals because the CDC published that legal abortions only have a 0.00075% mortality rate. Furthermore, quite a few hospitals will not partner with abortion clinics due to political or financial reasons, and they will deny admitting privileges. Now let’s look at the with of the corridors of abortion clinics. The rule that there must be enough room to have gurneys pass each other is a common hospital requirement, but 90% of abortion clinics are small 2 or 3 room buildings. There is rediculously small chance that two people on stretcher would have to be rushed past each other. Thankfully, in January of 2017, the Supreme Court is planning on throwing out these TRAP laws for placing “undue burden on the person seeking an abortion.” These arbitrary regulations are closing down clinics that are just trying to help women live their lives.

On of the most devastating TRAP laws are the mandatory waiting periods. From the time between your first meeting, you have to wait 72 hours before you can actually have the abortion; this law has spread to 27 states. In theory this sounds like a great way to make sure women are sure before making this life changing commitment, but it can have detrimental effects on patients. One example of this is a girl from Texas. She was 14 years old and was the victim of sexual assault, and unfortunately, she ended up pregnant. The abortion clinic closest to her were closed down because of TRAP laws. She found herself having to drive 12 hours with her mom to a clinic in San Antonio. The mandatory waiting period was a surprise for the family. Unfortunately, the girl’s mother was unable to take three days leave from work, so the family had to return home. Nine months later that 14 year old girl was forced to become a mother. Stories like hers are compelling reasons to keep abortion clinics open. The world has some real problems that need to be fixed. Abortions are technically legal, so why aren’t they accessable?

“Data and Statistics.” Center for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC, 24 Aug. 2016. Web. 19 Sept. 2016.

“TARGETED REGULATION OF ABORTION PROVIDERS (TRAP).” NARAL Pro-Choice America. N.p., 14 Sept. 2015. Web. 19 Sept. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stop TRAP-ping Clinics by Sejal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Carmen
    Carmen 9 months ago

Sejal, I had no idea these TRAP laws were a thing and I find it so interesting that these laws exist. Instead of helping women and making abortions safer, these laws hurt women in serious trouble or women who not only want, but in some cases need abortions. I researched sexual assaults on college campuses and I found that 23% of women get sexually assaulted in college. It’s just so scary to think that these young women could have their whole lives changed because they get raped, end up pregnant, and can’t get an abortion due to these TRAP laws.

2. Profile photo of Martin
    Martin 9 months ago

? aborting ?