t’s no secret that college tuition is expensive but, did you know that it rose three percent this year making tuition around $9,000 a year on average (public universities). Going up way faster than inflation. One reason for these rising prices is that states have lowered their per-student funding by twenty-five percent over the last fifteen years. Although states have lowered their funding there is still enough financial aid from federal, state, local governments, and nonprofit institutions to support everyone’s education. Unfortunately, high-achieving students from educated families receive a disproportionately large share of the money while those families struggling to pay for their educations get a disproportionately small share. Children with middle class, wealthy, college educated parents receive around $25,000 a year in aid. Those who go to less-selective public schools receive around $13,500 and those who go to community colleges (usually from disadvantaged backgrounds) receive about $8,000 a year.

When you look at these numbers you notice that wealthier more advantaged students are receiving three times as much as the less advantaged students who really need it. I find this completely and totally unfair. Isn’t the point of financial aid to help those who aren’t able to help themselves and to provide equal opportunities for everyone? By giving more to those who don’t need it that takes away from those who truly need it, completely beating the system. Luckily the government has been talking about college tuition a lot lately. Obama even proposed a plan to make community college free for students whose families make less than $200,000 dollars a year and can maintain a 2.5 or above GPA. The program would end up being way cheaper than you would think and completely affordable for the government. I think plans like these are a step in the right direction and hopefully since the election is approaching more plans will be put into place soon.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Rising College Tuition by Kristy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.