When first asked to write a 250 word summary about what my favorite word is I was shocked. How am I supposed to know? I don’t just go around thinking about these things on a daily basis. In fact, it took me quite a while to actually come up with a word to write about. Instead of looking up cool words I thought about words that would be able to describe my everyday life. That’s when it hit me!

My favorite word is sarcasm. The definition of sarcasm is to use irony to mock or convey contempt. Sarcasm loosely comes from the Greek word sarkazein, which means to tear flesh. I can somewhat see how tearing flesh can be sarcasm in an emotional way. If you know me, I like to be sarcastic a lot, almost to a fault. It’s really effective when people don’t know if you are being sarcastic or not. In this scenario, you are able to control how the person feels about you, based on their response to what you say. For people who are completely oblivious to sarcasm, someone could seem like a nice, genuine person, but could have just been using sarcasm, and vice versa.

I have a coworker who doesn’t understand when I am being sarcastic. She always thinks that I am insulting her about her work ethic, when really i’m just messing with her. I know this may sound like a horrible thing to do, but it makes my job a lot less boring. I always make sure to tell the people who can’t tell that I’m just kidding.

Sarcasm expands the realm of how people feel emotion. You expect to feel one way, but then feel the complete opposite way.  I am not saying that I like the word sarcasm, because I can mess with people. I am saying that I like the word sarcasm, because it is the meaning behind a concept that expands the interactions between people. Sarcasm can either completely let you control a conversation, or misunderstand what someone is saying. It’s concepts like these that intrigue me, because they alter what people know as reality.

2746074234_ac2fa16950_b

CC BY-SA 4.0 Messing With The Brain by Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Lexi
    Lexi 9 months ago

This had some good points in it and personally I think sarcasm is fun though I can see how some people could find it as mean. I really only use it when joking around and everyone I know has a good sense of humor so I use sarcasm fairly often.

2. Profile photo of Martin
    Martin 9 months ago

Sarcasm is ? A thing you should joke about,sarcasm is really mean and it makes me ?.