www.forbes.com/sites/vanessamcgrady/2015/09/25/23ways/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-carlos-campo/reduce-college-tuition_b_1913576.html

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/16/why-college-costs-are-so-high-and-rising.html

http://ideas.time.com/2011/10/27/why-college-tuition-should-be-regulated/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opinion/sunday/the-real-reason-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html?_r=0

http://prospect.org/article/argument-tuition-free-college

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/18/290868013/how-the-cost-of-college-went-from-affordable-to-sky-high

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/is-college-tuition-too-high.html?_r=0

College tuition has always been an issue for most people in the United States. Over the years, college has become more important than ever to get a decent job and make a decent living. That’s why I think the next president should focus on finding ways to lower college tuition or enable free college altogether. But there is no such thing as having “free” college because someone will be paying for people to go to school. Mentioned in The New York Times, one of the ways college tuition is growing is because colleges are adding several  new random electives to show that they are diverse and helps allow people to get their credits, but in reality it is costing a lot for the teachers and supplies. It would be better to eliminate those classes all together to save money. Another reason it’s costing so much to go to college is tuition is rising faster than inflation which means that colleges are in need for a lot more money. For each college, their situation is a little different but most need to make lots of money for many different costs.   

Some ways that could make lower tuition possible are raising taxes/creating an education tax, offering more scholarships and grants by colleges and the government, and eliminating student loans altogether etc. Raising taxes would allow colleges to earn more and allow them to charge students less to go to their schools. More scholarships and grants would give more students money that they need to allow them to have a higher chance of not being in as much college debt. Finally, eliminating student loans would prevent most people from being able to afford to go to college. This means more and more colleges would lose money so over time it would cause them to lower their prices so everyday people could afford to go to their school. College costs can affect people with long term debt and can hold them back and can ruin people’s lives. By ruining lives, I mean relationships and bank accounts. These are a few ideas that I would like to address because I believe that lowering college cost can benefit everyone and allow people to live the lives they want to live.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Lower College Costs by Kait is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Dereka 9 months ago

Kait,
    This is a great topic to talk about, college is very important if you want a decent life for yourself. one of the main reasons people doesn’t go off to college is because it’s too high or they do go to college but their paying off student loans for the rest of their lives. Our new president is so hooked on cutting off benefits through government money. People who usually get help from the government a lot are the ones who probably didn’t get a college education. I honestly don’t blame them either because it’s so expensive nowadays for college, its crazy! Maybe they should make some arrangements by putting more money into education; that would help others not need so much help from the government. More government help for education means that colleges can lower their cost down and more people can have better futures ahead of them. Also, student loans are the worst. Many people do not go to college because their scared to be in debt and I don’t blame them for that either. There are many ways to change the education system we just have to take steps to actually change it and make it for the better.

2. Nicole 9 months ago

Kait,

This post shows that you are both informed and aware of the issue students face when dealing with college costs. You not only stated the problem but also came up with some solutions in order to help the problem.

The only thing I wonder is if student loans are eliminated completely will colleges/universities lower their prices to enroll/attend or will they just shut down the institution?

3. Aneliese 9 months ago

Hi Kait, this piece is very well-written and extremely important in our society. It, as always remains a controversial issue in our country, but you shed light upon it through your research. I especially appreciate your addition of solutions to the piece, it gives it a tone of hope. I was your secret writing pal! I was gone yesterday, so I owe you a poem. This is a favorite of mine by Pablo Neruda to remind you to never forget your laughter. 🙂

Take bread away from me, if you wish,
    take air away, but
    do not take from me your laughter.

Do not take away the rose,
    the lance flower that you pluck,
    the water that suddenly
    bursts forth in joy,
    the sudden wave
    of silver born in you.

My struggle is harsh and I come back
    with eyes tired
    at times from having seen
    the unchanging earth,
    but when your laughter enters
    it rises to the sky seeking me
    and it opens for me all
    the doors of life.

My love, in the darkest
    hour your laughter
    opens, and if suddenly
    you see my blood staining
    the stones of the street,
    laugh, because your laughter
    will be for my hands
    like a fresh sword.

Next to the sea in the autumn,
    your laughter must raise
    its foamy cascade,
    and in the spring, love,
    I want your laughter like
    the flower I was waiting for,
    the blue flower, the rose
    of my echoing country.

Laugh at the night,
    at the day, at the moon,
    laugh at the twisted
    streets of the island,
    laugh at this clumsy
    boy who loves you,
    but when I open
    my eyes and close them,
    when my steps go,
    when my steps return,
    deny me bread, air,
    light, spring,
    but never your laughter
    for I would die.
    Pablo Neruda

4. Marlini 1 year ago

Dear Kait
    I am content by your post about “Lowering College Costs” because I feel like most students struggles with college tuition and all the housing and sorts of payments that is why a lot of us students goes straight in looking for a job instead of getting a education.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “College tuition has always been an issue for most people in the United States. Over the years, college has become more important than ever to get a decent job and make a decent living. I think this is an important message because It lets us know that college is a very decent option for us if we want a better opportunity in the future.
    Another sentence that was very outstanding was that “Some ways that could make lower tuition possible are raising taxes/creating an education tax, offering more scholarships and grants by colleges and the government, and eliminating student loans altogether etc. Raising taxes would allow colleges to earn more and allow them to charge students less to go to their schools“ This stood out for me because if the government do these things most of us students may have a better hope for the future.
    Your post makes me think me of something that I might go through if I go to college.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next time because going to high is free and I know that college would be a whole different path and your post made me think about what might happen when I get to college.

5. Jordan 1 year ago

Kait,
    This is such an important topic, and I’m so glad that you chose it. No one used to go to college, and a BA wasn’t required, but in recent years, it is necessary for very simple jobs. I had no idea that colleges branching out was costing more money. And while I agree that making colleges narrow down on their topics would lower the costs, I don’t think that it is the best way to make tuition cheaper. I think a great way to squash this issue would the government paying for the college tuition; just like how public elementary, middle, and high schools are funded by the government.

I was really happy to see that you brought up lowering student loans! I hear a lot of older generations say that there’s no point to lowering college tuitions because there is nothing in it for them, have you ever heard this? I think these loans should still be paid off by the government, because I’m not sure how they would just be eliminated.

People really are suffering terribly because of the loans they are having to pay off. So what’s the point to all of this pain? Who do you think is benefitting?