Dear Mr/Mrs. President,

Reduced Cost of Education –

I recently read an article on youth voices that argued that the government should fund our education to the point that it’s free. I would have to refute this argument and I will do so with one question, where do you think the money that the government has to fund education comes from? It comes from our taxes and an increase in education funding would result in a raise in taxes. Education (college) will never be free because people aren’t willing to pay higher taxes for it. In the article the solution to this was to reduce funding to “nonessential things like the military.” I would disagree with this notion because it would cost so many jobs and leave many people who’ve dedicated their lives to our country feeling betrayed. Also, the military is not nonessential, with terrorism at a high point right now, who will protect us if something were to go wrong?

Patrick

CC BY-SA 4.0 Free Education Simply Won’t Work by Patrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Paul
    Paul 4 months ago

Patrick, Your completely right. This notion that if people are forced to pay something via taxes it makes it fee is insane. It is not free since these same people will later on end up paying more in taxes for someone else’s college. And the worst part about it is if their successful then they will be forced to pay for multiple people’s education. And people who didn’t go to college will still be forced to pay taxes for college. People need to be responsible for their own expenses and not demand other people pay for their stuff. And yes the military is essential to have a country because without it we are subject to terrorism, North Korea, you name it all the enemies of America need to be defeated and that can only be done through a superior military.

2. Profile photo of Montana
    Montana 8 months ago

Dear Patrick,
    I am so grateful that you have thought about the deeper meaning behind a ‘free education.’ I 100% agree with your statement and free education right now in today’s society will not work. But, a few decades from now, if we help our economy grow by creating more jobs and having people make more money, then we surely could have a chance of a free education system.

3. Profile photo of Tomas
    Tomas 9 months ago

Dear Patrick:
    I am astounded with your letter, “Free Education Simply Won’t Work” because yes i know our taxes would have to be risen for our education to be free, but i think we should try to find a different way to pay for free college.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Education (college) will never be free because people aren’t willing to pay higher taxes for it.” I think this is bold because some people might oppose this but if there was a benefit at the end of this I know people would do it.
    Another sentence that I stood out was: “he military is not nonessential, with terrorism at a high point right now, who will protect us if something were to go wrong?” This stood out for me because that made me realize how important having a military is, and that is why i agree with that statement.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time there was a friend of mines we call him Diaz and he was always saying that if education is free then people will never appreciate it will take it for granted and throw it all away.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this topic really hit me and i think it is important to start discussions like this to see people’s point of view and how other people react to certain people’s opinion.