Had I been given an assignment to write about my favorite word last year, or the year before that, I’m sure that I would have spent hours looking through websites for the most exquisite sounding, difficult-to-spell word I could find. But the problem with that approach is that I would only being choosing the word to fulfill the assignment; I’m sure I would promptly forget about it as soon as the assignment was completed. So, with this in mind, I decided instead to choose a word that I already know and frequently use: “wonderland.”

According to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, “wonderland” is defined as “a place that is filled with things that are beautiful, impressive, or surprising.” That’s exactly the feeling I have when I hear it. It gives me hope that something happy is waiting for me, just up ahead. I also like how the word can be used in so many different ways. “Wonderland” could be used to describe a world filled with candy, like the factory in the movie and book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. When the children see the candy wonderland for the first time in the movie, we in the audience get to see how happy and surprised they are that everything is so colorful, edible, and delicious. Or it could be used to describe a place of magic, like Narnia or the world that Alice discovers when she falls down the rabbit hole. This word recalls the happy and curious parts of my imagination, and that must be why it is such a special word to me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fall Into Wonderland by Naomi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Valeria
    Valeria 9 months ago

Dear Naomi:
    I am very satisfied with your post, “Fall Into Wonderland,” because it brought back a lot of memories about my childhood. Growing up I loved watching “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “Alice in Wonderland”, I loved that you brought them up to explain the word “wonderland”.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “‘wonderland,’ is defined as ‘a place that is filled with things that are beautiful, impressive, or surprising.’ That’s exactly the feeling I have when I hear it. It gives me hope that something happy is waiting for me, just up ahead.” I think this is amazing because it’s exactly what I see when I hear the word “wonderful” as well.

2. Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer 9 months ago

Dear Naomi,
    I am amazed by your post “Fall Into Wonderland” because it gives good explanation on the word wonderland, which is a word that reminds you about happiness. Most people should feel that way about that word because it is a term that not a lot of people know about.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “wonderland is defined as a place that is filled with things that are beautiful, impressive, or surprising.” I think this is great because it explains what wonderland is and it all relates to being happy.

Another sentence that I enjoyed was, ““Wonderland” could be used to describe a world filled with candy, like the factory in the movie and book,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. When the children see the candy wonderland for the first time in the movie, we in the audience get to see how happy and surprised they are that everything is so colorful, edible, and delicious.” This stood out to me because it connects to a movie that is very popular and everyone should describe wonderland just like in the movie. It’s a place of magic.

3. Profile photo of Martin
    Martin 9 months ago

Yes wonderland is a fun word to say. Sometimes I say it to just be ?