In the United States, there are currently 30 states that allow capital punishment. That means it is legally authorized to kill someone as a punishment for a crime if a jury convicts that person. Not only do I think that it should be illegal in every state, I think that capital punishment stands against everything this country should represent. To begin there is always the chance that the person convicted could be innocent, and while if imprisoned they could be freed, if the are killed there is no way to change that. US senator, Russ Feingold, says “That is a demonstrated error rate of 1 innocent person for every 7 persons executed.” Also because of lack of resources, it is usually poor or unprivileged citizens that are put on death row. And above all of that it is not only morally wrong, but constitutionally wrong. You should not kill to punish someone for killing. To use an analogy, if a kids hits another kid on the playground, in order to teach the kids that it’s wrong to hit, would you hit the kid? No. To kill someone is considered cruel and unusual punishment in many people’s eyes and therefore violates the 8th and 14th amendment.

So, future president, I would hope in your time in office you would help to abolish capital punishment in this country.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Capital Punishment: Letter to the Future President by Zahra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.