I believe that life is an adventure. No one knows what will happen in the future, it is a wait and see type thing. Everyday we embark on a new adventure even if it just means starting a new day. It is a new day, filled with new ideas and new opportunities. Adventure is something that can change a dull and boring day into an exciting one.

According to the Webster Dictionary, adventure means an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity. However, that is wrong. Adventure should not be labeled as dangerous. If adventure’s definition is kept as is, then what would a hike be considered? Could it not be labeled as an adventure because it is not hazardous?

We put one foot in front of the other as we slowly make our way up the hill. There are insects flying around us, but it does not faze us. I know we will make it. There is no cell service, there are just the sounds of the elements in the woods and our deep breaths as we continue up the hill.

Once we reach the top the view is glorious, the sun is reflecting on the water and the sky is a light blue with large, white, puffy clouds hanging overhead. Is that an adventure? To me, that is an adventure. An adventure is going somewhere or doing something new. Hiking is an adventure, you are going somewhere to see something new and exciting. Adventures should be exhilarating but not necessarily dangerous.

Adventure comes from the Latin word adventus, meaning about to happen. When I look at the word adventure, I see the word venture which is a risky or daring journey or undertaking. And because of these reasons, that is why I believe that Webster Dictionary is wrong.

Photo by Dan Cook Archived (dan-scape.co.uk)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Webster Dictionary is Wrong by Lena is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sid 1 year ago

Lena, I really liked the tone of this essay and how it hooks in the reader. Your title is very strong and unique. I also really enjoyed reading the paragraph with the scenery; you set the scene well and I you did a good job of showing, not telling. I also agree with your definition of adventurous that it does not necessarily have to be dangerous.