Biting into a carrot, you hear a loud and clear snap as your teeth sever the poor vegetable in two. A snack or two later, you find yourself munching on some potato chips which break apart in satisfying crunch. Both of these instances include a sound which can be described with a word I find to be rather interesting: crisp. Say that out loud. Don’t you just love the way it rolls off the tongue with a soft “s” sound followed by a “p” that pops off of your lips? I remember in seventh grade when one of my teachers asked her students to think of a work that sounds like what it means. “Crisp” was the overwhelming answer. That may sound a bit odd when read at first but think about it. Say the word aloud again. Crisp. It’s a sharp word with a defined pronunciation. Think about when you bit into that carrot or that chip. It made a very sharp and definite sound, right? In fact, those living in the United Kingdom refer to what we call “chips” as “crisps.” Although I am used to the word “chips,” I do think that “crisps” is a much better fit for the crunchy snack that so many desire. The word “crisp” itself has a similar sound when spoken aloud and that’s why I think the word “crisp” is such a neat word to say. If for some reason you forget its meaning, all you need to do is say the word aloud. Crisp: the word with an unforgettable meaning is unforgettable to me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Word With an Unforgettable Meaning by Preston is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.