Something that will never fail to make my day is stumbling upon an untouched clearing or a single blossoming tree while I am walking through the woods. Though I do not purposely go looking for these treasures, I am filled with a feeling of joy at the sight of them and I cannot help but smile. This feeling is the product of one of my favorite words: serendipity. Serendipity is finding valuable or pleasant things that are not actively looked for. I have found that my best moments in life have been ones that I have not anticipated or directly sought out, and that is why serendipity is a word that I hope to use to describe many of my future life experiences. The sound of this word also reminds me of the word serene, which in turn reminds me of peace and beauty, words that I believe should describe moments in every person’s life.

The origin of serendipity is also very unique and intriguing. In 1754, Horace Walpole was inspired to coin the term serendipity by a fairy tale called The Three Princes of Serendip. The characters featured in this fictional story traveled around the island now known as Sri Lanka, accidentally discovering unexpected treasures along their way. For me, these treasures can come in many forms: A kind smile from a passing stranger, a single flower nestled in a green field, or a shiny penny resting against the concrete. These sweet coincidences are sometimes all that I need to remind me of the good in life. In an instant, my hope can be restored.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hidden Treasures by Callie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.