The extreme guidelines on cafeteria food does nothing to fight obesity, deprives students of a nutritious meal, and siphons away a huge amount of capital from school districts. Every single day I leave the school cafeteria feeling hungry and dissatisfied. I understand childhood obesity is a problem, but by shrinking portions and stripping foods of valuable nutrients to reach the sodium, fat, and calorie limit is not how you fight obesity.

According to “Why Students Hate School Lunches,” an article from the NY Times, kids have adapted to the new lunch policies by simply bringing their lunch, or tossing their school lunch into the trash. This shift to students preferring to pack their lunch has caused many school districts to lose up to 15% of their revenue. That is money that could be used to pay teachers more, fix up the decaying doors, or buy kids that new class set of book, all gone because Congress believed the best way to fight obesity was to malnourish kids to the point where they decide not to eat at all.

In France, the country with the lowest childhood obesity rates, “a typical meal would be cucumber salad with vinaigrette, salmon lasagna with spinach, fondue with baguette for dipping, and fruit compote for dessert.” Yes, children get those higher levels of sodium and calories that American school try so hard to avoid, but the meal is much more nutritious and that balanced midday meal keeps kids from getting home and binge eating a bag of potato chips to fill their empty stomachs. So please, Future President do not let America’s youth continue to be deprived from much needed nutrients to help us grow during the most vital stages of our development.

Photo by woodleywonderworks

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Lunches Need a Reboot by Brandon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Evan 11 months ago

I agree with your argument. I stopped eating school lunches long ago because they not only provided little to no nutrition but also because they are unappealing. If we were to reboot school lunches how would we do so? What can we do right to make a change?