Should government fund education?

The education crisis is a very real deal today. I think the clearest solution (from my very liberal point of view) is to decrease federal funding to other more non essential outlets (military, etc), and to increase federal funding to all schooling institutions. This is a rocky slope for many in terms of what they may think, but it would make education free for all. This is so crucial to raising a new productive generation in our society and I think it is paramount in our world, above most all else that the government could fund. Education molds new generations, and without it, the quality of our society will only deteriorate. Yes, maybe the idea of government funded education may infringe on that age old “American Dream”, but it would make for a smarter, more productive society.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/education/report/2016/01/26/129547/a-look-at-the-education-crisis/

https://www.thenation.com/article/faulty-towers-crisis-higher-education/

Photo by umezy12

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should government fund education? by Louis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Grace
    Grace 6 months ago

Louis-
    Great topic and I completely agree with you! I believe having government funded education makes for a better and more progressed society. If more funds go towards education our society would change tremendously by not having the financial stress added Great post!

2. Profile photo of Jorge
    Jorge 7 months ago

Dear Louis,
    I am interested by your post, “Should Government Fund Education” because I also think the government should be able to fund our education. Countries like Sweden and Germany actually pay you to go to a university and get your education.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is that ”to decrease federal funding to other more non essential outlets (military, etc), and to increase federal funding to all schooling institutions.” I think this is important because currently education has the least amount of spending by the government today. How do they expect us to succeed when they spend money on war than education? Therefore the focus should be on education because we are the future.
    Another sentence that I looked at was: “Education molds new generations, and without it, the quality of our society will only deteriorate” This stood out for me because the youth are the new world. We are the ones who are going to take over and create new things for this world, but if we do not get a proper education we could not benefit in this new world. We will struggle.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your ideas caught my attention and I agreed with what you had to say in this post.

3. […] willing to pay higher taxes for it. In the article the solution to this was to reduce funding to “nonessential things like the military.” I would disagree with this notion because it would cost so many jobs and leave many people […]