,

There are many theories about why people have unique personality traits. Some theories suggest that nature and nurture play the main role in someone’s personality, but others suggest that people are born with retain traits. The article, “Theories of Personality,” (McLeod) states that “The idiographic view assumes that each person has a unique psychological structure and that some traits are possessed by only one person; and that there are times when it is impossible to compare one person with others,” while “The nomothetic view…emphasizes comparability among individuals.”

This one talks about the big five traits of personality: extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and openness. These qualities are tied to different parts of the brain, as seen in the pictures below. Personality traits, to some extent are hard wired in our brains. But if we make an effort, it is still possible to develop the other parts of our brain, that for example, make us more confident, or optimistic.

Fear not friends! It is still possible to train your brain. The power of visualization, imagination, and determination are all key to changing your mindset or personality. In conclusion, “Thoughts have power.” And no matter what your personality is, it can be changed if you put your MIND to it.

Source:

McLeod, Saul. “Theories Of Personality | Simply Psychology“. Simplypsychology.org. N.p., 2016. Web. 15 Sept. 2016. 

Photo by mattiasostmar

CC BY-SA 4.0 Can people change? by Alea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Andrew 3 years ago

Hey Alea! If you are interested in psychology, with regards to personality, I recommend researching Carl Jung. His ideas and analysis are the basis for a large majority of psychology. Another psychologist I recommended is Burrhus Frederic Skinner. He has an excellent book called Walden Two.