As human innovation and growth continues to advance, consumption of energy will continue at all time highs.  Fossil fuels are clearly finite resources, so the question isn’t if we are to run, its when.  According to website Ecotricity, Crude oil reserves are vanishing at the rate of 4 billion tonnes a year – if we carry on at this rate without any increase for our growing population or aspirations, our known oil deposits will be gone by 2052.  

However, we’ll still have plenty of other energy sources such as natural gas, nuclear power, and other renewables.  The problem is that we’ll have to depend on those sources at a much greater rate which will lead to a quicker depletion of these energy sources.  According to this site our gas reserves will only be able to give us an additional eight years, while our coal supply will run out in the year 2088.  

Although many experts believe that our fossil fuel reserves will be depleted before the 2100, Reuters, a reporter for The telegraph   claims that we should no longer be worried.  In an interview with BP’s Group head of technology, David Eyton, Reuters states “Energy resources are plentiful. Concerns over running out of oil and gas have disappeared,” Mr Eyton said at the launch of BP’s inaugural Technology Outlook.  

Oil and gas companies have invested heavily into finding ways of making the most out what they have.  Eyton also states in the interview, that with the increase of renewable energy sources taking pressure off of fossil fuels, oil, gas, and coal reserves will be around for a while.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Will We Run Out of Fossil Fuels by Seiji is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan 9 months ago

You bring up very important points for the future of our most significant resources. I completely agree with the first point you brought up that we’ll be running low on our fossil fuels and that we likely can’t solely depend on our other sources of energy, as those may also run out. It’s very interesting to see that there are other very conflicting opinions on this matter and that some people think we won’t run out, for at least a long while.

2. Profile photo of Jackson
    Jackson 9 months ago

I found this really interesting, at the state we are in now it is almost impossible to imagine a life without oil as a source of energy. However I believe that as we continue to develop new forms of energy we will find an alternative renewable source.