In today’s society there is so much pressure to be perfect. With celebrity influences, peer pressure, and social media we tend to feel like we’re not perfect until we closely resemble what others perceive as perfect. Seven in ten girls suffer from self-esteem issues thinking that they “aren’t good enough.” This can result in depression, bulimia, anorexia, or self harm.

The things that peers, friends, boyfriends, or even parents say can influence an opinion on oneself for a long time. We are told that we should be perfect but not too perfect and that we should be happy but not too happy. There’s so much pressure from media that points out their ideal perfect body. This can result in self doubt or self harm that will “help” us get to where society says is perfect.

A while back Victoria’s Secret had an ad about the perfect body. They had a line up of skinny, perfectly thin, and all one in the same models. There was so much scrutiny against it that after a while they took it down. People believed that the models, although looking flawless, did not define what perfect was.

Everyone has a different body type and there is no such thing as the “perfect” body. If we lessened the influence of social media or models on the ideals of what the perfect person looks like we wouldn’t have to worry so much about whether or not we have a bikini ready body, but rather if we are happy with where we are.

Photo by Silvia Viñuales

1. Guadalupe 1 year ago

Dear, Malia
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “We are told that we should be perfect but not to perfect and that we should be happy but not too happy.” I think this is interesting because it is perfectly describing how the real world is and what we are told or expected to do or feel. Your post reminds me of something that happened to relative. One time my family relative was about to do one of the things you said people will do when someone will judge them and that a boyfriend will control her life and would make her feel worthless.

2. Martin 1 year ago

Even though I am a boy…It still affects them as well as me.Some kids cuss and do bad things to be perfect,when really it’s actually harming their school records.It’s really sad.But we can stop this if we really want to!

3. Annika 1 year ago

As a girl in high school I related to this post. I think more people in this world to preach the perfect body being every body. Thank you Malia for warming my heart.