I’ve been a Type 1 Diabetic since 5th Grade, and more often than not, my parents will complain whenever they have to purchase more Diabetes products for me. Even with good insurance, they have to spend about $450 on products every month. This includes two types of insulin and blood sugar test strips.

The cost of diabetes products has increased drastically in the past decade. Dr. Irl Hirsch suggests that, in order for patients to optimize their budget for products, consumers should buy from generic brands. He also suggests reconsidering the brand of insulin, and carefully reusing supplies to keep spending at a low. Dr. Irl Hirsch says, “The cost of type 1 diabetes management has risen to $7,910/year for people without insurance.” 

According to GoodRx

Photo by elisaself

CC BY-SA 4.0 Do Diabetes Products Need to have Lower Prices? by Jack is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wentao 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that. I used to have a classmate who was also a Type 1 Diabetic. We have been friends since 7th grade. He is always affirmative, and gives positive energy to people around him. You and him made me realize that people with diabetes are not people who are weak, but who are winning the fight for life. And I also agree with you that insurance should cover more of the cost. Since this problem come out, I think maybe you and my friends can write a letter to the government, they may can help more.

2. Quan 11 months ago

wow you’re right diabetes does break the bank.