I read this article because this article is the topic that I chose for my senior project. This article gives multiples numbers showing the US Justice System keeps a lot of Americans behind the bars.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is “In October 2013, the incarceration rate of the United States of America was the highest in the world, at 716 per 100,000 of the national population. While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world’s population, it houses around 22 percent of the world’s prisoners.[1] Corrections (which includes prisons, jails, probation, and parole) cost around $74 billion in 2007 ”I think this is because I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because from the video I watched, that President Barack Obama gives speech, he always points out the problems that the US prison population is extremely high.

Another sentence that I agree with was: “According to a U.S. Department of Justice report published in 2006, over 7.2 million people were at that time in prison, on probation, or on parole (released from prison with restrictions). That means roughly 1 in every 32 Americans are under some sort of criminal justice system control.” This stood out for me because According to US Department of Justice, in 32 Americans, there would be 1 who stays behind the bars. Prison population is increasing, having too much prisoners would spend a lot of money of the taxpayers. They all don’t own a life sentence. Drugs is no longer legal in the United State while there are still a lot of patients use drugs to control and lower their pain. Drugs is the main reason that brought a tons of people into jails.

I double-checked this fact through www.whitehouse.gov , which makes me feel pretty sure that it is true. What I learned from this article is the main reason that keeps too much people in jails was drugs. They owe themselves and the society, but they don’t own a life sentence. The US justice system is not smart enough by keeping people behind the bars for years, or even more than a hundred years as they really can stay alive that long. What does the ACA use for? JUST KEEPING PEOPLE behind bars for their WHOLE LIFE? Or to give the prisoners an opportunity to start a new lives and help them to adapt new environments?

Photo by vauvau

CC BY-SA 4.0 Checking evidence in the Wikipedia article about Mass Incarceration by San is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew 9 months ago

Something you may find very interesting: https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Scream-First-Last-Drugs/dp/1620408902
    If books are not your thng check these videos out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJUXLqNHCaI