I just read a Wikipedia article:

https://via.hypothes.is/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truancy

I enjoyed this article because every country has their own strategies to help decrease and/or end truancy. They’re trying their best to work with students to help them get to school so they won’t be truant.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is: “ It is absences caused by students of their own free will, and usually does not refer to legitimate “excused” absences, such as ones related to medical conditions.” I think this is somewhat true because some students don’t attend school prior to personal issues that don’t have anything to do with their health.

I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because students miss school for various personal reasons.   http://strategiesforyouth.org/for-police/how-to/how-to-truancy/

Another sentence that I disagree with was: “. If the parents refuse to send their child to school or are unable to control their child, local child services or social services officers may request the police to escort the child to school, and in extreme cases may petition a court to partially or completely remove child custody from the parents. Parents may also be fined in cases of refusal.” This stood out for me because taking parents children away isn’t gonna help anything. That’s just going to make matters worse and not help that child focus in school because their way from home.

I double-checked this fact through http://savannahnow.com/column-accent/2012-08-25/family-relationships-behavior-problems-school-begin-home. The bad behavior of children at school starts from at home. So being taken from home may change a child’s behavior at school with may push the child to be truant.

There’s something in this article that I think might not be accurate. It says, “ Some children whose parents claim to homeschool have also been found truant in the United States.”
What I learned from this article is that in every country, they have different strategies to help stop truancy. Some strategies may actually make matters worse on both sides. Other strategies that they mentioned aren’t really logical and won’t really make any differences. Are there any rewards for the families who actually try to make a difference in changing?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Checking evidence in a Wikipedia article about truancy by Jaymee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marlini 1 year ago

Dear Jaymee Vaughn:
    I am deeply impressed by your concern for “Truancy” because students are out there skipping school without anybody knowing what they go through.I feel like it is most generous of you to think about students who struggle without society noticing.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “That parents refuse to send their kids to school or are unable to control their children”. This makes me think that parents do not care about their children getting an education.
    Another sentence that stood out to me is “The bad behavior of children at school starts from at home. So being taken from home may change a child’s behavior at school with may push the child to be truant”. This stood out for me because I notice a lot of students become truant because they go through a lot at home.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time sophomore year I struggled a lot in High school, and this sometimes caused me to stay home from school without being called in for truancy.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really enjoy reading your blog.

2. Darrtell 1 year ago

Dear Jaymee

I am surprised about the way you are thinking but i actually agree to it. Its some time true for different races but not all races.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I enjoyed this article because every country has their own strategies to help decrease and/or end truancy” I think this is very interesting because i actually enjoyed reading it as much as you wrote it.

Another sentence that I was: “Some children whose parents claim to homeschool have also been found truant in the United States.” This stood out for me because when they say they homeschool they really don’t do the work they sit at home and do other things. They might not even be home most of the time they’ll be out partying with their friends.

I do agree with you that kids use home school as a excuse to not wake up and go to school they just lazy but i know for a fact that most of the don’t finish high school then they get considered as a DROP OUT.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you had many details in this text and i really learned something.

3. Gary 1 year ago

Dear Jaymee,

I am happy with your post “Truancy,” because I feel the same way about how students miss school and don’t come because of what their going through (personal) outside of school. I also disagree about the police escorting kids to school which isn’t fair because some kids are either scared or not in the learning mood. One sentence that stands out for me is ” In extreme cases may petition a court to partially or completely remove child custody from the parents” because this matter will make it worse for the child causing more stress and fear from being away from home. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was getting ready for school but my mom was really sick. But the big problem was everyone left to school and I was the last one to leave. At that moment I stood staring at my mom thinking about how she’s all by herself. So i made the decision to stay from school and take care of her. So like you said some kids miss school for personal reasons not all kids miss it for a bad reason. Thanks for you writing. I look forward to seeing what you right next, because I want to know more about how we should deal with “Truancy” and how can we change it.