When I was young the biggest rumor I dealt with was that brown cows produce chocolate milk. To my child mind and many others this made complete sense. It was not until I grew older that I learned, with despair, that brown cows do not actually produce chocolate milk. I was crushed. As I have tried many types of chocolate milk in my time, you could say I’m a sort of connoisseur, I have never graced my taste buds with what I imagine fresh chocolate milk from a brown cow would taste like. Luckily due to advances in science and the well being of the human race, the rumor I heard as a child may be proven true.

Scientists have been putting additives in milk for years now. Genetically modified cows already are able to create milk with “special therapeutic protein”. However the science community has only begun to grasp how far they can go. An article I read asks, “Why not add genes of cocoa and sugar to a cow, in order to create a cow that produces sweet chocolate milk?” I join them in asking why not? Yes there may be ethical reasons not to, with genetic manipulation being “the largest ethical problems that science has ever faced” and the possibility of new diseases but the outcome definitely outweighs the consequence in this situation. Science needs to move forward on this issue as soon as possible. It is of utmost priority only second to global warming or the cure for the Zika virus. Until then I can only dream of the day where I can walk into my backyard and collect milk from my own chocolate milk producing cow. Truly a glorious day that will be.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Can we genetically modify cows to produce chocolate milk? by Isa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Martin 10 months ago

Has anyone read the article that I have listed up there? Look it up if you haven’t. I give full credit to whoever made it.

Anyways this I think was an ok concept of cows and chocolate milk, but I don’t really agree with it. First off, It really doesn’t make sense why or how we can do it, now it may for the person who published it.

Second, I am not really on board with the whole genetics thing. He has some good evidence of how it is possible,but again, it makes no sense at all to me.

So this is why I don’t agree with it. I don’t want any drama from the publisher but I am not judging.

2. Olivia 11 months ago

I think you have potential to become a scientist. You are so insightful and your ideas are inspiring. I, too, hope that one day we can have chocolate milk producing cows.

3. Lilian 11 months ago

Dear Isa :
    I am disappointed with your post, “Can we genetically modify cows to produce chocolate milk,” because it’s not giving us much information about cows. Also most of the things you wrote were your personal opinions which it makes me think that you did really do much of a research.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “When I was young the biggest rumor I dealt with was that brown cows produce chocolate milk.” I think this is a really good way to grab most of teenagers attention because When we are teens we hear a lot of rumors and most people does believe it until they really make a research and find out the true.
    Another sentence that I was: “Genetically modified cows already are able to create milk with “special therapeutic protein” This stood out for me because the idea that cows can’t make chocolate milk is more clear to me. As it shows that cows are genetically modified to produce milk and things are added to cows.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time someone was talking with one of my friends and out of nowhere my friend was saying that black cows produce chocolate milk. I thought it was a crazy idea. But I never do any research. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your story was interesting in a type of way. Also you wrote about a rumor that I never decide to do a research about.

4. Christopher 11 months ago

To bad you can’t make chocolate milk cows… It would be amazing if you could though???

5. Ian 11 months ago

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! That’s not possible there is growth harmons but certainly not cocoa and sugar genes, also second two only global warming and the Zico virus ?!? What about shootings police brutality cancer gun control and the countless other problems that we need to address before breeding cows with cocoa and sugar.

6. Arlo 11 months ago

Gimme da moo moo cow juice

7. Ian 11 months ago

I don’t think this is possible to genetically modify cows by adding genes of cocoa and sugar.

8. Christopher 11 months ago

Yummy ???

9. Eli 11 months ago

This is of utmost priority!

10. Martin 11 months ago

I am ? To say this but I do not ? you can genetically Make a ? produce ? ?

11. Chloe 11 months ago

I enjoyed this very much. Your personal story was very intriguing, well done. I too though, at one point, that brown cows produced chocolate milk. I understand the ethical reason as to why we shouldn’t force it, however, if this ever comes a realistic opportunity I will be very excited.
    https://www.quora.com/Would-it-be-possible-to-genetically-engineer-a-cow-to-produce-chocolate-milk
    This is an interesting website that states many points f view about this important topic.