In our Declaration of Independence it was stated “all men are equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among these is life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” Although back then it did not apply to all eventually it did and we have battled to protect those rights. Yet we find ourselves unable to fully resolve the issue after so much time. A race educator posted an article on The Huffington Post about the outrage she caused because of a post on LinkedIn. The post that caused outrage was, “White people, If you’re not part of the solution, You’re part of the problem.” The public responded in a manner that demonstrates society is very sensitive when it comes to topics about race. Throughout this year we’ve seen the problem in our society more, that possibly could be correlated with the upcoming presidential elections. The possibility exists because according to Robert B. Cialdini, many people are influenced without being conscious about it. The influence tool is called social proof, such that if a group a people feel sensitive about race then the rest will see this as the correct way to act.

Sources:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-fleshman

Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini, PH.D

Photo by AK Rockefeller

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why are we still struggling with racism? by Miguel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Anna
    Anna 9 months ago

This is a very relevant topic today, especially with the upcoming elections and the possible risky stances some have in race and different status socially. I think something to think about would be how different races interact with each other in the past and how they do now. Also how we can become a part of the solution instead of just “being sensitive” to matter of race. Very insight and I enjoyed reading this.

2. Profile photo of Giselle
    Giselle 9 months ago

Do you think the tool of social proof is similar to the ideas of Connected by James Fowler and Nicholas Christakis

3. Profile photo of Abbi
    Abbi 9 months ago

your sources are very well incorporated and fit nicely with the rest of your piece.