Everyone has a set of values that they live by, or believe in. Everyone’s is different. Why are mine what they are, and how did they develop? Because my family is ultra-conservative, I only got exposed to those views. I started to ignore them, and form my own opinions about the world. Maybe it was a form of rebellion at first, but now they’re my values. I like to think I’ve done some living, and experienced enough diversity to form accurate opinions. My circle of friends is incredibly diverse. Some of my best friends come from Pakistan, Germany, South Africa, and different places throughout Africa. I have a Muslim Russian friend, and my family is very close to a family from South Korea. My mother’s side of the family is Italian. I moved to Utah from South Carolina. I grew up (and was baptized) Mormon, before becoming Presbyterian.

There are a ton of factors that shape our values, and there really is no simple, cohesive answer as to why we have the values we do.  Mine come from stifling political conversations, diverse relationships, and personal hardships, and I like to think my values have made me improve.

Photo by Mixed media and fibre artist