I found a website that summarizes the current issues that are affecting the health of the environment. Fifteen pressing conditions are described, and their negative effects are analyzed. For example, some of the top problems include overpopulation, fossil fuel pollution, and loss of biodiversity. By crowding too many people onto the planet, natural habitats and animal populations are suffering. As a result of our expansion, wildlife of the world is suffering the consequences.

Fossil fuel pollution puts CO2 and other greenhouse gasses. The page describes how “global warming leads to rising temperatures of the oceans and the earth’ surface causing melting of polar ice caps, rise in sea levels and also unnatural patterns of precipitation such as flash floods, excessive snow or desertification” (Conserve-energy-future.com). There are also paragraphs talking about natural resource depletion, water pollution, and acid rain.

Some other problems are rooted in the loss of biodiversity across the planet. According to Wwf.org, the biodiversity crisis puts human “health and livelihood at risk too.” Humans are a put of the “web of life”, and the alarming extinction rates going on today can have “serious repercussions” to the wellbeing of the human race.

For example, food shortages will increase from oceans becoming too acidic. The loss of biodiversity can also have a domino effect, where the loss of one species can conglomerate into multiple species facing extinction.” Loss of ocean life is prime example of this. Large ecosystems in the oceans across the globe are struggling as base-level producers like plankton and algae are eliminated. This destroys the ability for other organisms to get energy through the ecosystem. The overall result is an ecosystem on the brink of a collapse.

I think these problems are all issues that need to be taken into account because addressing other issues is difficult when we don’t have a planet to work with. Fixing the world’s problems require, quite literally, fixing the world itself first.

CC BY-SA 4.0 First, Fix Your Planet by Will is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Heidi
    Heidi 7 months ago

Great topic! You did a great job adding quotes and facts from specific articles. I think this is such an important issue to talk about since the wellbeing of the human race quite literally depends on the health of our planet. Here’s a link to a website if you want to help get involved:

https://www.beforetheflood.com/act/

2. Profile photo of Erin
    Erin 10 months ago

This is very interesting! It is very scary that we seem to be overlooking this massive issue in our world that will have a drastic effect on all of us. I think another important thing to consider is the social and political effects that these massive biological changes to our planet will cause. There will inevitably by shortages of goods, including food, water and other necessities. This may cause further chaos and violence in our world.