In the search to improve my handwriting I discovered one outlying bad habit that I have acquired over my years of writing: “finger writing”. Finger writing is when you let the wrist and fingers do all of the work. When writing properly your entire shoulder and arm should be engaged (Lawson). After you alter your arm movements your writing should flow more freely and lead to a more “streamlined style” (Willett). This is one big step in acquiring nice handwriting. After accomplishing the full arm writing style you may adjust the little things that go into neat handwriting such as stretching before writing, having good posture, and plenty of practice. Now go out there and write gracefully.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tips-to-improve-handwriting-2014-7

http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Key to Lovely Lettering by Annika is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Monica
    Monica 9 months ago

I like the fact that you posted about handwriting. I’m very grateful for this because I, for one, have terrible handwriting. It’s so interesting that you’re supposed to use your whole shoulder and I’m pretty sure many people didn’t know that either. I’m glad you brought up the topic since I’ve always wanted to improve my handwriting. I will use the tip and hope it works, thanks for the advice Annika.

2. Profile photo of Louis
    Louis 9 months ago

I think this is a super thoughtful post! It does not occur to people all to often that writing is actually an exercise that needs careful attention if you want to perform well. I really liked the eloquence of your writing too. It made reading a little blurb on a not terribly interesting subject (compared to many other of the post topics) very pleasant and satisfying. Great!

3. Profile photo of Wyatt
    Wyatt 9 months ago

Dear writer,
    I am know for my bad hand writing, i used to copy magazines to get my hand writing better but it dident get better, thank you for telling me/us how to write better.

4. Profile photo of Adriana
    Adriana 9 months ago

Dear Annika,
    I am interested in your post because I found it interesting how we are not only supposed to put all or pressure on our wrist and fingers. Also, I found it interesting that by making improvements in our writing could flow more freely. One thing you said that stands out for me is “ This is one big step in acquiring nice handwriting.” I think this is impressing because I never knew that by properly using our entire shoulder and keeping our arm engaged our handwriting can improve a lot. Your picture reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was doing my homework for ELA and my little sister took a picture of me doing my homework. Your picture reminded me a lot of that picture. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your posts are very interesting.

5. Profile photo of Jack
    Jack 9 months ago

Beautifully said Annika. I think we take calligraphy for granted these days, and I’m happy to see that some people still respect the ability to write respectively. You might want to watch some calligraphy videos, they teach you how to make cool letters in your everyday handwriting! Best of luck to you

6. Profile photo of Lily
    Lily 9 months ago

Annika, dear friend,
    You have truly inspired me with such graceful words. I didn’t realize how much goes into beautiful writing. Stretching before writing, who would have thought? Your paragraph was very informative, and I liked it very much. Job well done.