National Anthem Kneeling

Colin Kaepernick sat for first two preseason games without getting noticed. In the third game, a fan posted a picture on Twitter unrelated to Kaepernick, but it captured him sitting. The San Francisco 49ers released a statement confirming that he indeed sat during the national anthem.

That began to gain traction with various news sources. Kaepernick gave reasons for his actions, stating that it was not meant to be disrespectful toward military members and veterans, but instead a protest of the treatment of black people and people of color. To avoid offending military members, Kaepernick decided to kneel for the next game, while he was joined by teammate Eric Reid.

Kaepernick’s actions sparked many other athletes to follow suit during the anthem. Four Miami Dolphins players, a Kansas City Chiefs player, and even American soccer player Megan Rapinoe.

I respect the courageous actions of these players, but one question remains for me: What do they hope to accomplish from this? I know that the protest is for racial equality, but it is still unclear what they want the end result to be.

CC BY-SA 4.0 National Anthem Kneeling by Jack is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Preston
    Preston 6 months ago

Jack,

I agree with your respect of these players’ actions. Surely, they knew beforehand the kind of backlash they would receive. In response to your questioning of this method’s effectiveness, I would argue that this is an effective method. With Colin’s position, he is able to draw lots of attention as he has demonstrated. His actions have caused for more discussion about the issue he wanted to raise. In a way, his plan has bee very successful. He wanted discussion and that is exactly what he got.

2. Profile photo of Samantha
    Samantha 7 months ago

I agree with your question. People think if they do something that stands out and represents the black lives matter movement that it will change what is happening. They don’t realize that it only makes it worse because everyone has their own opinion on the matter and everyone processes what these people are doing differently.