A Leg to Stand On

Why do flamingos stand on one leg?
Flamingos are known to stand on one leg for hours at a time, even on windy days. Scientists are unable to come to a consensus on why this occurs, but multiple studies have been done. In 2009 an experimental psychologist named Matthew J. Anderson observed flamingos to try and determine why they stand on one leg. According to Anderson, “flamingos pull one leg up close to their body to conserve heat that might otherwise be lost while standing in cold water—not just in the Andes, but in the tropics, too, where even a slight drop in water temperature could mean big losses, due to the length of a flamingo leg” (smithsonian.com). Another theory suggests, “Since a flamingo’s legs are so long, it takes a lot of energy to pump blood through both legs, causing strain on the heart. Pulling up one leg to rest allows the heart to more easily pump blood through the body” (animals.howstuffworks.com)

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Leg to Stand On by Olivia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Savannah
    Savannah 7 months ago

proud of this talented writing. love flamingos

2. Profile photo of Heidi
    Heidi 7 months ago

very informative. thank you for sharing.

3. Profile photo of Anna
    Anna 7 months ago

Flamingos are silly creatures