The second I turned 18 back in July, everyone around me started asking about college. They were doing that before of course, but it escalated when I became a “grown-up”. I say that “I’ve been looking at art schools. I’m hoping to get into SCAD.” Some relatives are excited about that, but others frown and quickly tell me their opinion on the matter.

“Illustration won’t pay the bills.”

“That’s not a real degree.”

“How will you support yourself?”

“What if you’re not good enough?”

Dad even said he “doesn’t want me working at Starbucks my whole life. (But I don’t hear him complaining when he gets his coffee).

It’s funny, because when you’re a kid, and you want to be an astronaut, or a movie star, everyone tells you to go for it, but when you’re 18 and wanting to do art, you’re out of your mind. I like to think I’m pretty good, but there’s always the “what if it’s not enough?”

When I turned 18 back in July, I made a choice. I would go to art school. I would get a scholarship. I would succeed. And I’d do it all because I am good enough.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Critiquing Art by Paige is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katelyn 11 months ago

I find your confidence to be very refreshing and admirable. I am still at the stage of when someone asks me what or where I want to study I just sort of deflect the question because I am still unsure of what I want to do. I hope soon to have the same passion as you do.