An average teenager should have at least 9 and a half hours of sleep. For me personally, I literally get like 4 hours of sleep every night. So to answer my question, the reason I sleep so much is because I don’t get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can cause a difficulty to pay attention and you may be prone to and acne. Only 15% of teen get 8 and a half hours of sleep on a school night. Teenager also have irregular sleep because they stay up late and sleep in late which makes them and it hurts the quality of their sleep. The overall meaning to the article (Link posted above), try to go to sleep early teens.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/teens-and-sleep

Photo by hoyasmeg

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why do I sleep so much? by Vicky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Giselle 11 months ago

Dear, Vicky

I am intrigued by your post because you talk about sleeping and I am a great example of a person who sleeps a lot whether in the afternoon or night. I have had many experiences with me sleeping a lot. Sleep is very important since it helps you grow. One thing you said that stands out for me is, “Teenagers also have irregular sleep because they stay up late and sleep in late which makes them and it hurts the quality of their sleep.” I think this is interesting because as technology progresses the more we become attached to certain things. For example with phones or video games teens usually stay up with those devices until they can’t handle their tiredness and eventually fall asleep. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, my mom scheduled me a doctor’s appointment because I “sleep too much” in her opinion. I entered the doctor’s office and my mom started explaining to the doctor that I am not as active and take too much naps during the week. The doctor told her that what i am going through is perfectly normal. Almost every teen goes through this stage where they grow very tired during the day and take naps. It simply means you are growing. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i can very much relate to what you just posted.

2. Christopher 11 months ago

Vicky, I am surprised that teenagers should get 9 1/2 hours per night! I wonder how many teens actually sleep that much. Have you heard of the movement to consider swapping elementary and secondary start times? http://www.mercurynews.com/2010/01/05/students-in-sequoia-union-high-school-district-may-get-more-time-to-snooze/

3. Dianna 11 months ago

Sleep is important, especially when you are younger. What you need to do is ask yourself why you are only getting four hours of sleep a night. Is it that you are dealing with stress, or too much homework? Finding the underlying cause of your inability to sleep will go a long way in helping you sleep of a night. Good Luck!! 🙂