Who and What Defines Beauty

People of today seem are often concerned with what makes them beautiful. But who and what defines beauty. Over the millennium that humans have existed the social ideals of beauty have changed. In the ancient Greek and Roman day’s beauty was women with curves; for they came with the association of fertility. Over time though the “heroine chic” of the 2000’s became the new beautiful; with protruding bones and a gaunt face. Today we seem to have many different ideas of what the ideal beauty is, according to the Huffington Post article “What is the real definition of Beauty?” Beauty is happiness. This is a simple and refreshing idea. It is one that doesn’t put pressure on young girls to look a certain way but to be happy with themselves.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who and What Defines Beauty by Abi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paige 2 weeks ago

Abi,
    Beauty is something that I personally worry about. I love the idea that beauty is happiness. Many people, including myself, try to fit in and are self-conscious. Yet to go along with the saying that beauty is happiness, we don’t need to worry about what we look like just as long as we are happy. I also like this idea because it doesn’t put pressure on young girls. Yet it sounds easy, but being able to be happy with yourself can be hard. How would you recommend going about this?

2. Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly 7 months ago

Dear Abi,
    I couldn’t agree more with you about what you said in your post. I don’t think girls should feel pressured to look a certain way in order to be considered beautiful. I feel that the society we live in today does focus on physical appearance, rather than inner beauty. I also really enjoyed reading the article you linked in your post. It was really interesting. I would say that beauty is happiness, just like the article stated. Beauty is more than what you see in magazines and having good cheekbones, it is about being happy with yourself.

3. Profile photo of Jaymee
    Jaymee 7 months ago

Dear abi :
    I am interested with your post “Who and what defines beauty,” because nobody and nothing can really define beauty.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “People of today seem are often concerned with what makes them beautiful. But who and what defines beauty. ” I think this is true because girls try hard to look nice and to look better than other girls.
    Another sentence that I read was: “Today we seem to have many different ideas of what the ideal beauty is” This stood out for me because we all have different opinions and don’t all think the same.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time i thought my outfit was cute but these girls at my middle school made fun of me and made me feel less than myself and made me think that i don’t know what beauty is. I thought i can never get beautiful but now i can .
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i wanna be able to share this quote to my peers who think they are better than someone and who likes to bring people down because the way they look

4. Vicky Omal 8 months ago

Dear, Abi
    I agree with you. For me personally I am a girl that is tall and skinny and people always told me throughout my lifetime that I need to have curves. I am happy with what I look like and I am proud. The world should change not you.

5. Profile photo of Stephanie
    Stephanie 8 months ago

Dear Abi,

I am intrigued by your post because of how it tells us that beauty isn’t about looks but how we are ourselves. One thing you said that stands out for me is “beauty is happiness.” I think it was interesting because you were talking about how beauty about our appearance and we shouldn’t be pressured to have to look a certain way. Your post reminds me when i saw on social media when people were being rude to a girl just because she didn’t look a certain way that they thought she was supposed to look like. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I find it interesting that you write about these topics that everybody should know and share.

6. Profile photo of Marisol
    Marisol 8 months ago

Dear, Abi
    I definitely agree with you I think that beauty is not how you look but how happy you feel about yourself. Girls everywhere are taught that you have to look a certain way to be beautiful and they are losing their happiness in order to look a certain way.