My family has known for a long time now that my dog, Indi, will most likely have to have her front right leg amputated due to arthritis. We think she must have been dropped as a growing puppy, causing her leg to bow out like an “s”. She had surgery to try to correct it but she had already stopped growing. She’s only seven years old and she’s already starting to limp on it. My question was whether her quality of life would be better if she got her leg amputated or if she is to be put down when it starts causing her pain. Personally, I would much rather have her still with us, but my mom has done reader has and some dogs get severely depressed from their missing limb, especially very active dogs, like our Jack Russell Terrier. However, according to purlina.co.uk, people should , “…consider it as the beginning of a new life for your dog, a positive option that can humanely extend their life and remove whatever pain they had before.” I hope that when the time comes, my family will be prepared with articles like the one mentioned above to appropriately cope with my dog’s new lifestyle.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Quality of Life of Three Legged Dogs by Heidi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anna 11 months ago

I hope Indi is going to be okay 🙁

2. Mimi 11 months ago

You did some really good research and did a good job of showing both points of view. You chose an interesting and original topic that not many people know about. Good job.