Guns In America: Life in My City

Before you start reading, some of my language isn’t professional. It’s to show my lifestyle, enjoy.

Dear President,

In the United States, one of the biggest problems is guns. America is really only exceptional when it comes to the number of guns, the frequency of gun murders and the shockingly high number of annual gun deaths. Other countries seem to not have as many problems as the US when it comes to the abuse of guns. Even though one of America’s constitutional right state the right to BEAR ARMS, it is being overly abused, sometimes with power. Even as the 2nd Amendment contributes to rising crime in nearby countries, it also validates the concept of governing with guns, both at home and abroad. The US government has, in one decade between 2006 and 2016 spent more than 6 billion on small arms alone. On average 31 Americans are murdered every day and 151 are put in hospitals with injuries. America is starting to become weaker and weaker every day with their problems. The power of a gun is insane. One man with a gun can control hundreds.

The US government has, in one decade between 2006 and 2016 spent more than 6 billion on small arms alone. On average 31 Americans are murdered every day and 151 are put in hospitals with injuries. America is starting to become weaker and weaker every day with their problems. The power of a gun is insane. One man with a gun can control hundreds.

Let me tell you about my city. Violent crime rose faster during the first six months of 2015 in Sacramento than in any of the 25 largest U.S. cities tracked in an annual FBI crime report. All types of violent crime  murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault increased in Sacramento. Sacramento’s populations raised from 492,00 in 2015 to 1,501,764 in 2016. I’m From Sac, where its shoot or get shot, you an opp or a thot, bullets fly, bodies drop, females ride with a knife, you 15 in a cell doing life. I’m from Sac where mommas are burying their sons and daughters go on a run. 12 years don’t go no where without a gun. I’m from Sac where making it to 18 is a miracle and 21 is a miracle. I’m from Sac, where when we part ways we say be safe, your closest ones can die the next day, you gotta tell their moms but don’t know what to say, RIP JJ. I’m from Sac where RIP is in everyone’s vocab, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Screen Saver, Cover photo. I’m from Sac where mommas crying, kids dying, Police lying, opps riding, I’m getting tired of trying, that’s my city and the lifestyle I’m from. It’s A Beautiful Struggle.

Every day I wake up, happy to see another day, to see my family, my friends ,the world. Where I’m from man, I’m from a certain part of the hood because that’s where my school is from. I mean it’s fine. I can’t walk down the street without getting jumped or getting killed. I been shot at before and it is not fun. Everything just felt so unreal at that moment. It was like time froze and everything was moving so slow.  Let me tell you some stories about my friends.

One day I’m in my backyard barbecuing, all of sudden I hear, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP. I’m just thinking to myself, like damn, someone just got aired out. About an hour later I go checked the news, “ Breaking news, another violent day in Sacramento, as Sac Deputies are investigating a drive-by shooting. 5 people were hit by a drive by. All ages range from 18-60 years old. Later one died with a headshot to the head.” The next day a 19-year-old was killed in his front year. They think it was a connection to the drive-by shooting. Everything occurred on Memorial holiday weekend. This happens every year.

The same day, 16-year-old Macy Murphy was shot in the head by a 17-year-old guy. She was left in the car for a couple days. Another story. My friend JJ was getting ready for a playoff football game. You know he had like 10 offers from premier colleges. He took some friends to go eat. They stop to pick someone up.

North Sacramento is extremely bad. Two different hoods next to each other. It was a hood called the Manners. Like they do not care about anyone. They will shoot or kill anything and everything. JUST IMAGINE THIS IN YOUR HEAD. They get to a stop sign, my friend JJ is driving. They talking about how they about to get this W. At that moment they had to take a L 🙁 . A 16-year-old walked out in front of the car. Aired the car out with multiple shots. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang. That’s all that everyone heard. No one in the back got hit. Lucky. My friend JJ got hit in the Neck. He didn’t blackout yet. He didn’t know what happen. My other friend Malik was in the passenger seat. He got hit in the shoulder. He was living a nightmare he said. He saw JJ bleeding out his neck. He had to pick JJ up from the driver seat and put him in the passenger seat. There was blood everywhere. Glass was broke, seats look like Tazmanian Devil tore it up, airbags popped out, dashboard got bullet holes.

It’s just crazy. I’m sitting in my 5th period and I saw my cousins Snapchat. Since he went to the school that my school doesn’t like. Like I said, just because you go to a school in a different hood, you’re classified as you’re from there. So the football players from my school were being disrespectful. IT’S SO SAD.

A week ago my friend Nutter from my school was killed. He was sitting on his porch , and someone did a walk up, shot him in the chest. He died 2 days later. I saw him at my graduation sitting down as we were walking to our seats. It still feels like he’s present with me. He was koo to kick it with. He was amazing at football, had about 15 offers. He was on his way. He even was about to graduate on that Monday coming up. First time I met him was in 7th grade. For some reason, there is alway one person from a school on the hood that doesn’t make it. Had to be him. I made a video and put one song that was slow and every time you watch the video it will make you a little emotional.

It’s crazy how guns stay in poor communities when guns are expensive. They do impact a lot of people. RIP to the Orlando victims, RIP to the kids and teachers from Sandy Hook. RIP to those in the Colorado shooting, RIP to those that die from sexual assault or domestic violence. RIP to those that died by the Police. RIP TO AMERICA.                   

Photo by davitydave

CC BY-SA 4.0 Guns In America: Life in My City by Fredrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Ian
    Ian 7 months ago

This is insane. I live in a pretty safe town and can’t imagin living trough that… I’m sorry for you’re loss

2. Olivia Colman 7 months ago

It’s interesting reading about gun issues from the perspective of youth who have experienced violence firsthand. Gun violence is a crucial issue that needs to be addressed and fixed.

3. Profile photo of Arlo
    Arlo 7 months ago

They took our jobs!!!! ?

4. Profile photo of Ijanae
    Ijanae 10 months ago

Hey Fredrick,

I think this is such an important topic to touch on, from a youth’s perspective. I think that the world often forgets how it truly affects us as juveniles who have to actually live through things like this.

I also think that your ending statement was really interesting on how guns are so expensive, yet still in poor neighborhoods. As if the government almost wants the poor to have access to these things.

Although, this is a tough topic. Many people feel as though guns are needed to protect themselves, and want to exercise their rights but others abuse its power and use it for pure evil. The higher ups should do a better job a determining which is which when granting firearms license.

5. maureendevlin 10 months ago

What creates this desire to kill? Where is it born? Can we change communities so that the desire to love and care for one another outshines the desire to kill? Is this the result of injustice, poverty, lack of opportunity, no voice, less education? Thank you for writing. I m thinking about how we can make change.