Dear President,

Hello, my name is Richard Mata and I am a current freshman at Chico State University in California and as a concerned citizen, I would like to touch on some issues many people including myself have. Coming from a generation of immigrant parents and ancestors, I believe they are treated very unfairly.

For instance, many Mexican workers have to deal with exploitation from their fellow managers,supervisors and even coworkers. No one should deal with this issue, in a workspace one must be treated fairly and not taken advantage of. If an immigrant worker wants to voice their concern, they must do so with ease without having to feel threatened. Many immigrants in my family and other families have been underpaid and when they ask for a raise they often get told things like,“You should not ask for much because you are just an immigrant.”

Many people in my family are hard workers and same is the case for many other immigrant-based families and that being said as a productive member of the American society, I strongly agree that immigrant workers should get more respect in a work space. At least from the perspective of immigrant families, no one including immigrants should feel exploited in a work space. An issue the minority community faces is police discrimination, minorities in inner city communities have to deal with racial profiling and coming from first hand experience I can say that it is very unjust that we are targeted based on a “description” a police officer’s description is often wrong and offensive. We often can’t wear a certain color or have a certain haircut because of the stereotypes. Just because we tend to fit a certain description does not mean that we are, one example can be the stop frisk law that was implemented in New york. Most people that are stopped are either Hispanic/latino and African-Americans. The ideology behind the stop and frisk law is understandable but the system is very flawed because officers tend to only stop minorities based on stereotypes among society. It is unjust how a person of color cannot walk down the streets without potentially being detained and searched.  The youth in inner cities need drastic help, the education boards are very corrupt and the people

Many people in my family are hard workers and same is the case for many other immigrant-based families and that being said as a productive member of the American society, I strongly agree that immigrant workers should get more respect in a work space. At least from the perspective of immigrant families, no one including immigrants should feel exploited in a work space.

An issue the minority community faces is police discrimination, minorities in inner city communities have to deal with racial profiling and coming from first-hand experience I can say that it is very unjust that we are targeted based on a “description” a police officer’s description is often wrong and offensive. We often can’t wear a certain color or have a certain haircut because of the stereotypes.

Just because we tend to fit a certain description does not mean that we are, one example can be the stop frisk law that was implemented in New york. Most people that are stopped are either Hispanic/latino and African-Americans. The ideology behind the stop and frisk law is understandable but the system is very flawed because officers tend to only stop minorities based on stereotypes among society. It is unjust how a person of color cannot walk down the streets without potentially being detained and searched.

The youth in inner cities need drastic help, the education boards are very corrupt and the people on the board tend to be only money hungry. As a result, schools in inner city communities have bad facilities, books and even bad teachers at times. The streets of inner city communities are very dangerous, and more focus should be put on bettering these communities. Lots of friends have faced this issue, sometimes something as simple as walking to the store can be a challenge and this can cause paranoia for a person.

Racial tension in the United States is an issue that must be touched on, the Mike Brown case, Trayvon Martin are very controversial between African Americans and Caucasians. Issues like this tend to divide a nation and it can get very messy socially and politically. As an American citizen, I would like to live in peace and harmony and when a nation is divided, it can be intimidating if one is part of the other side.

Richard Mata

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why Immigration and minorities matter by Richard is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jaymee 1 year ago

Dear Richard Mata :
    I am interested about your post, “Why immigration and minorities matter” because i like how someone actually has noticed the problem and is willing to speak about it.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Many people in my family are hard workers and same is the case for many other immigrant-based families and that being said as a productive member of the American society, I strongly agree that immigrant workers should get more respect in a work space.” I think this is true because no matter where you came from or what color you are or how you got to where you are now, you should be able to be treated with some type of respect.
    Another sentence that I read was: “Most people that are stopped are either Hispanic/latino and African-Americans.” This stood out for me because this is completely true. When we get stopped by police then we always end up on the news dead or in jail for years that should even been put on us. We get overcharged for petty crimes that are only noticed because of our color or where we are from.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time someone asked me where i’m from and i told them that i’m from San Francisco. They started making negative comments towards me and where i’m from and i peeped them starting to act funny towards me.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i wanna see how we can try to bring this us up to government attention so we can try to make some change.