Dear next president,

I hope that you are doing well in your new president position.  This letter is to inform you on a problem that I think needs to be paid more attention to and that I feel needs to be taken care of in the near future.  The problem that concerns me is the fact that youth immigrants need more attention in achieving academic success for a better future. Youth immigration is a problem that needs to be taken care of because a great amount of population is affected by it.  And although there are some programs that have been established such as the DACA program,  there are still many disadvantages of being a DACA student.  Like everything else, there are requirements that need to be met to be part of this policy which enables students who arrived to the US before the age of 16 and have resided in the state since June 15, 2007 to work for two years without the risk of being deported.   Aside from these requirements, the renewal of this permit has fees that sometimes families or students cannot pay without saving before hand.  For example, When I was renewing my DACA permit I had to manage my time between school and my job so that I would be able to renew it in a matter of weeks.  With the amount of hours I had at work and school my education was impacted, as I dropped grades in a couple of classes due to the fact that I was working 25 to 40 hours a week.  

Another impact that I had as an undocumented student was that I needed to work harder than other people to get what other people are born with.  When I say this I mean that some people are born with the right to travel abroad without having to file an Advanced Parole form, which does not even guarantee that the student will come back to the US. Restrictions for traveling abroad include not being able to go visit my own country.  Not being guaranteed re-entry into the US is unfair when I have been living here I grew up here and I consider myself a fusion of two completely different cultures.  

Another example where people do not take advantage of the rights that they are born with is when they have the support from both parents and an even bigger advantage when the parents have been both educated about how to have a good and strong future.  This is another way where I would have to work harder than other people because my mom and stepdad only got through their first two years of education

Having said all of this Mr. President I want to let you know that education for youth immigration is something that needs to be paid more attention to.  And I also believe that more programs like DACA could take place so that a lot of students that are undocumented can get the education they need to have a better future than if they had just stayed in their country.

Antonio O.