Dear President,

Technological advances have brought some of the greatest things available to mankind, yet they have brought great loss to thousands of families all across the world. We aren’t living in a world where it would take months to schedule another 9/11, Orlando, Paris Attacks, or Belgium Bombing due to the lack of communication; no, it only takes a matter of seconds to communicate with another person half-way across the world. Recently, a man and his wife decided to attack the Inland Regional Center located in San Bernardino, California. Later during the day of investigation the police found an iPhone that belonged to the shooters and it was the FBI who really wanted bypass the lockscreen- intrigued by the idea that the device might have information leading back to ISIS.  

As a citizen of not just America but the modern world, computer privacy should not be a right. It is not because people do not deserve to have a sort of privacy but actually the fact that these terrorists use media to communicate with each other to bomb people and do mass shootings. For example, prior to the shooting in San Bernardino the Richard A. Serrano from Los Angeles Times stated in his article, “San Bernardino shooter Tashfeen Malik sent at least two private messages on Facebook to a small group of Pakistani friends in 2012 and 2014, pledging her support for Islamic jihad and saying she hoped to join the fight one day”- Serrano How different would life have been present day if that incident had not occurred? As crazy as it may seem maybe one of those family members did not become a doctor anymore or a lawyer or an environmentalist. Think about it for a brief second, the plausible reasons that family member could not do what they wanted to be; it comes down to a domino effect, the member could have become depressed and be deprived of motivation from their loss. Essentially the FBI can careless if you are selling weed or doing things that are not in their major interest. People may have this misconception that the FBI is going to want to know what the person is doing at 3 in the morning or who you’re doing it with.
After so many of these attacks occurring, I have began to notice things that I thought would only ever see in Mexico. Things that are meant to make you feel safe, but do the very contrary they make me feel… unsafe; having officials with assault rifles at public places does just that.  Do we live in a safe place? America claims to be the safest place, that no other country can just come attack because we will be right on them and they “will find no safe haven”.  What good does it do to protect ourselves from other countries if America cannot protect itself from its own People. Protected, America can be but it is a matter of how. I believe the FBI should have the right to monitor all the messages going around world wide from any platform. With that being said, this has been a sensitive topic for the past couple months, it is truly unfair that many of these people are dying and they have not done anything to provoke the killer.

CC BY-SA 4.0 No Computer Privacy by Xorge is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.