Middle Class Struggles

27 June 2016

Dear President,

I would like to congratulate you on becoming the 45th President of the United States of America. Now, I’d like to explain what I, along with many students and parents, believe must change in our country. In America, status is depicted by the income and wealth a family makes. The government plays a huge role in creating these categories because of the support they give some families. We have put people into categories; Low-income class, middle class, and the wealthy. I do believe that those who have gone to college and have gotten their degree should be paid more than minimum wage. However, those families in the middle class that make enough to be financially stable have a very hard time when it comes to getting their children through college.

My family lives in a small town that has the population of about two thousand people. My father came to the United States to live the American Dream and provide for his family so we could have more opportunities. My mom went to a community college, graduated, and became a preschool teacher. We weren’t “poor” but we weren’t wealthy. We were known as “the middle class”. This never really affected me until I started growing up and could finally understand what my parents’ arguments were about. The arguments were about money. According to a survey by SunTrust Bank, finances are the leading cause of stress in a relationship.

I can remember the day that my brother split his head open and I was second guessing myself of calling the ambulance because in the back of my mind I knew my parents didn’t have the money for the ambulance ride. These type of situations shouldn’t be occurring because my mom got an education but my dad wasn’t fortunate to do the same. When it came to college, my plan was to go to school about three hours away. It was a great school and I couldn’t wait to move out and live on my own. I started to understand that staying local was probably the best thing for my family financially. My parents had a lot on their plate trying to pay house bills and my brother’s constant doctor visits that I almost felt selfish even bringing up my plans to move away for college. I settled on attending a CSU close to home where my parents wouldn’t have to pay too much out of their own pocket. Students should be able to go to college and get an education without having that worrying of being in debt for the rest of their life or for me causing arguments between my parents.

The low-income families have this huge amount of support from the government and the wealthy make enough to send their children to college with no debt. The middle class is this huge portion that gets help from the government but not enough to not put their families in debt. This is why I believe supporting the middle class is something highly needed in our world. After all, everyone is going to school to become the next doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc. so why not help them get the level of education they need?

Mariana

CC BY-SA 4.0 Middle Class Struggles by Mariana is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.