Dear Future President,

I look forward to seeing who you may be, hoping that you keep your word and make a positive influence on your country. Therefore, I believe you should take action on improving U.S residents’ education. According to a study conducted in late April by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy, 32 million adults in the U.S. can’t read. That’s 14 percent of the population. 21% of adults in the U.S. read below a 5th grade level, and 19% of high school graduates can’t read. Every important social issue is impacted by low literacy such as health, gender equality, and poverty.

When individuals learn how to read, write, do basic math, and use computers, they have the power to lift themselves out of poverty, lower health-care costs, find and keep sustainable employment, and ultimately change their lives.  Displaying both student and adult literacy programs would be a great improvement as a society because knowledge is progress. Literacy should be engaged as soon as possible, so that we as a community grow as a whole and open diverse opportunities for employment. Possessing writing and reading skills will help citizens in a broad aspect such as when doing taxes, reviewing newspaper, being capable to understand laws, and socialize with other American residents.  Student and adult literacy programs accessible would decrease literacy rates tremendously. UIS provide estimates based on these for the year 2015 with a Global Age-specific Literacy Projections Model (GALP). The global literacy rate for all people aged 15 and above is 86.3%. The global literacy rate for all males is 90.0% and the rate for all females is 82.7%. I hope you consider taking action towards this problem that may be a “game changer” for many U.S residents.

Jordan Pineda

CC BY-SA 4.0 Literacy & Education by Jordan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.