Dear Future President,

Hello, my name is Maria Del Carmen and I will attend Chico State University in the fall of 2016.  There are many concerning and outrageous things happening right now.  One of the many concerns in the United States is the changing of the tobacco age requirement in California.  California has proposed to change the age requirement from 18 to 21 starting June 9th, 2016. People from the age range of 18 to 21 are already considered an adult and should have freedom of choice. I may not be 18 yet but in several weeks I will be and I would like to show that I can be considered a young adult.  I am not even 18 yet and I have already made huge decisions in my life that prove that I can be seen as a young adult and can make my own choices. I have decided to get a college career, move out of my home, move into an apartment, and get a job.  I believe that if you choose to harm yourself in whatever way that is, you should be able to because it is your own choice to do so.  You know that you will have high risks of health issues and it is your full responsibility, if that’s what you want to do. It’s your course of action to do what’s best for yourself and if you want to damage yourself then you should be able to.  Tobacco is harmful and everyone knows that so if they want to still use it then so be it.  Yes, I do believe that tobacco shouldn’t be used; therefore I have never tried it myself and don’t plan on doing so. I know the tobacco effects so I do not risk myself getting lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, etc.  Anything you do you should know the consequences and outcomes of that.  So with that I think that the age requirement in tobacco will not change anything.  Most people that are under 21 will have access to someone to buy the tobacco for them.  The people from ages 18 to 21 will still have access to tobacco because most people have a friend, brother or sister, or relative that is 21 and can provide them with tobacco or alcohol.  Those people that use tobacco that are in the 18 to 21 group will still find a way to get the tobacco if they really want it.  It’s all about choices and how bad you want something.  If you want something you’re going to go and get it.  That’s exactly how these tobacco users will approach to this new law.  As you can see, I believe that the tobacco age requirement law will not do much in terms of decrease in use.  If the government wants to change the decrease in use they should make sure that all young adults and well everyone else too should know of all the effects of tobacco.  That could be taught in schools or in homes or anywhere else but people should be informed about all the outcomes that it does to yourself not simply change the legal age.

Maria Del Carmen

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter2NextPrez by Maria Del Carmen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.