June 26.2016

Dear President,

If you are reading this, then congratulation you have won the election. Now that you are the President it is your duty to listen to and come to a solution for the concerns that are presented to you by your people.

Today I am here to let you know about the discrimination that LGBTs face on a daily basis, especially in the workplace. Here is only one of the many stories that breaks my heart. Margie Winters, the educational  director of the Catholic elementary school Waldron Mercy Academy, was fired after parents complained about her being in a same sex marriage. Now, this was not a problem when she was hired, but after a few complaints the school decided to let Winters go.

She is not the only one that has been effected. Many more are denied a job, harassed at work, or fired just because they can not help who they love. This is wrong. Wrong that only 21 states offer employment nondiscrimination laws to LGBT workers.  Fewer than a third of all U.S. states have laws protecting people from discrimination based on sexual orientation, and only a handful prohibit discrimination based on a person’s gender identity or expression. There are no federal protections for LGBT civil rights. Those who are different are usually the minority.

The first time I ever in my life heard of LGBT was on Youtube. I came upon a transgender youtuber by the name of Gigi Gorgeous. Not only was she transgender, but she inspires and motivates me to do whatever it is my heart desire. This shows that she is so much more than a label. She opened my eyes up to a world that many people cower back form. Youtube introduced me to so many more people, like Shane Dawson, Joey Graceffa, and so many more. These amazing people have as much rights and deserves as much respect if not more than everyone else. Not only them, but I believe all LGBTs should have the same.

Many people think being gay is “a sickness, and it needs to be treated,” I think being close minded is a sickness and it needs to be cured.  Take the Orlando shooting for example. A lot of precious lives were lost forever because of a sick man. This was the both the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman and the deadliest incident of violence against LGBT people in U.S. history. He is not the only one, according to Pastor Roger Jimenez of the Verity Baptist Church, “We don’t need to do anything to help. As far as I’m concerned, Orlando is a little bit safer tonight. If we lived in a righteous government, they should round them all up and put them up against a firing wall, and blow their brains out.” The world is still and probably will never be a perfect place, but we can try to make it as close to perfect as we can and I believe it all starts with equality for all.

The Christian Coalition states “Many of those people involved with Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals. The two things seem to go together.” Personally, I believe that those who are opposed to same sex marriage or the idea of LGBT are the biggest most ridiculous ignorant bigots. It takes a lot to close yourself in than to open up and I pray that sooner than later these people will come to an understanding.

Until then, it is the responsibility of the President to protect the LGBT community because right now there has not been much done for these citizens of the United states of America.