June 27,2016

Dear President,

I am writing this letter to bring to your attention a subject that is extremely important in the United States, educational goals being affected by the barriers of immigration. Many immigrants come to the United States to better their own and their families life, to make dreams become realities.They go through the hardships of crossing the hot deserts and being without their families to see better days. There’s many who see immigrants as useless or as many say, taking the jobs of the Americans, but that is not even close to whom an immigrant is. Immigrants come to the using hoping to better not themselves and their families but also to contribute to make America a better place. A good example is Larissa Martinez and her family, a young immigrant girl from Mexico City raised by a single mother with two other siblings. Larissa was brought to the United States by her mother when they couldn’t stand the abusive alcoholic man she was married to. Larissa’s story is like many others who are put down and are disrespected on a daily bases. She worked extremely hard throughout her high school years and her hard work payed off when she was recognized as her school’s valedictorian. She gave a beautiful speech at her graduation, carefully drafting her words, letting everyone know that she was undocumented but that didn’t stop her from being her high school’s valedictorian. Society needs to see that we come here to work hard, we don’t mess around we make sure to get things done. Being an undocumented immigrant is not easy, their life is full of struggles and discrimination’s.

I was Born in Degollado, Mexico in 1998 and in 2002 my parents decided to move to the United States to better our families future. For seventeen years I lived as an undocumented student. I feared for the future of having to miss out on good opportunities just because I was undocumented, and I did miss out on a few things. Such as when I was accepted into the Upward Bound program but had to be dismissed because I didn’t have a social security due to being undocumented. Many undocumented students in the U.S. are affected by the unfair exclusions from education and educational programs. Around my community there are many kids that are undocumented and yes they filed the dream act but that is still not enough. Undocumented students should be given the opportunity to be Americans, because they too, are working for a better tomorrow. Every student in the U.S deserves the opportunity to work hard to accomplish their goals. Many come to America hoping for the best but find out that it’s not always possible so they give up their dreams and just do as best as possible to get through life. When they give up because they have no choice they are seen as stupid and useless, but that is not how it should be. Students no matter where they are from should always  be pushed to work for the best outcomes.

President,today I ask for you to take a moment to notice all the undocumented students that are in need of being recognized. There is so many of them that strive for the best but when they find out that they can’t get the same opportunities and help as others they have no choice but to look for whatever job they can get. Please take the time to consider legalizing all undocumented students that show the interest of bettering not only theirs but many others lives. Studies have shown legalization may help the children and even grandchildren of immigrants increase their educational success. When children are legalized they know that they’re chances of being accepted into society and getting more help is higher. Every undocumented student should be able to come out of the shadows without fearing rejection. If trying to get educated, showing dedication, and living most of their lives in the United States isn’t enough prove to show that they deserve legalization, then what is?

Esmeralda Hernandez

CC BY-SA 4.0 Undocumented Students by Esmeralda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.