June 24,2016

Dear Future President,

I would like to talk about the issue of men making more money than women. This is a very big issue and is important to me because as a freshmen going into college I currently have a job and am not making the same amount of wages as my male coworkers with the same job and position.I feel as though I work very hard and put the same effort as my coworkers but am being paid less. In 2015 full-time female workers made only 79 cents for every dollar earned by men.This is a gender gap of 21 percent. On average women earn less than men in virtually every single occupation.Women are almost half of the workforce and receive more college and graduate degrees than men but on average women still continue to earn considerably less than men. According to IWPR tracks that it will take about 44 years (2059) for women to reach pay parity.

There are a few main points to argue on this subject. The first is that there is no proof that being a mother makes a women less productive on the job. When a women has a child it is said to believe that women’s advancement opportunities shrink and mens grow. Research shows subsidizing the cost of childcare and providing paid parental leaves of up to six months would help women return to work sooner and help men more equally share care. Most people would agree that men are the primary breadwinners for most families but that isn’t always the case. In my family my mom takes takes on the role of the mom and dad, she takes care of three children by herself until I got older and could help take care of my siblings. So in my family my mom is the breadwinner. My mom has been able to take care of my two siblings and I without a male role model for most of our lives.

Another big point for this discussion of men making more than women is discrimination and its role in the causes of the wage gap. Occupation, parental,marital status are used as control variables but when the size of that gap is reduced, what is left is generally thought to possibly be result of discrimination but it could affect control variables too. A recent study by Francine Blau and Lawrence Kahn estimate 38 percent of gross wage gap remains unexplained. Blau and Kahn estimate occupational segregation where women work in lower paid jobs done mainly by women and men work in higher paid jobs done by men along with segregation by industry and firm are responsible for half of the wage gap.

The annual wage ratio of 79 percent is a moderate estimate of gender pay inequality. IWPR did a study across fifteen years and a typical women earned 38 percent less than a typical man. The Urban Institute of social security earnings data they said that the wife earns 50 percent of the husband across their working lives.

Mr. or Mrs. future president if I only had a few minutes to talk with you I would simply ask to close the gender wage gap. There are women including myself that have jobs and work hard but aren’t being treated equally as our male coworkers. It would be nice if we could truly all feel equal to one another.

Kara Stroud

CC BY-SA 4.0 Kara Stroud Gender Wage Gap by Kara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.