Dear Future President,

I am an 18 year old Mexican girl who is strongly opinionated concerning the immigration issue. So as girl from the Mexican culture, I would like to bring the issue to your attention. Throughout my childhood I have personally experienced families being torn apart due to a parent or parents being deported. What some people do not realize is that not all illegal immigrants are criminals. Many Latin Americans come to the United States to live a better life and give their children a better education.  They want to make sure their children do not have to go through all the difficulties they had to face on the daily. However with Donald Trump’s new immigration reform the opportunities that are placed for a student to be successful get taken away, for a justification made by one individual.

In his immigration reform, it states “ …cases of criminals who crossed our border illegally only to go on to commit horrific crimes against Americans.” Trump blames the entire Mexican ethnicity for the crimes committed by one or two individuals. When other races, caucasians for example, commit horrifying crimes they are viewed as individuals unlike the rest who get blamed as a whole culture.  

When I was nine years old, immigration arrived at my uncle’s job site, waiting until he got out of work and was taken into custody. He including my aunt and three cousins were deported back to Mexico. Although my cousins are U.S citizens, they weren’t able to stay because they were not over the age of 18. Luckily the oldest was able to come back and finish high school and later was able to bring his younger brother to finish his education.  Being that the oldest works and the younger one is finishing high school they are unable to visit their parents or see their younger sister grow up. It is hard to imagine that parents are not able to see their children grow and that children get separated from their parents before they have to to.     

This is just one example of many more cases where families have to suffer due to deportation. Most of those families that get torn apart have not committed any crime besides crossing the border to make sure their children get the opportunity to have the “American Dream”. A parents only desire is to make sure their kids live a better life than they did.

One cannot deny that some of the immigrants that have arrived to the United States are criminals but that does not mean the entire race should be blamed for the actions of one individual. According to CNN Politics “Immigrants and crime: Crunching the numbers” by Catherine E. Sholchet, states that out of the whole prison population only 5% are not U.S citizens. Therefore assumptions concerning that all illegal immigrants are criminals is wrong. So as the future President I hope you take in consideration this letter and realize what many seem to miss. America is a place of freedom, opportunity, and success. A parent will do what it takes to make sure their child can get the best it has to offer.

Michelle Gomez

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigration by Michelle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ian 12 months ago

Nice article and I completely agree with all of the unjust system that’s Inplace