Dear Future President,

Hello my name is Samie Khan and I’m a freshmen from CSU Chico. I just want to enforce the idea of gun control around the U.S. and how guns end up in the wrong hands putting human lives in danger. I was born in a small city of Live Oak where terrorism is basically not allowed or will most likely will never occur. But when I surf the internet, watch the news, or even at school I learn about these attacks that happen across the nation including one of the two a Muslim person or a legally purchased gun in the U.S. So I did some research on this topic if any of these humans who commit these actions are going through anything and Doctor Jonathan M. Metzl, Reports how up to 60% of perpetrators of mass shootings in the United States since 1970 displayed symptoms including acute paranoia, delusions, and depression before committing their crime.Recently On June 12, 2016, a mass shooting occurred at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. At least 50 people, including the gunman, were killed and 53 others were wounded. The shooter, Omar Mir Seddique Mateen, a 29-year-old American citizen of Afghani descent who was Muslim, pledged allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant immediately before the attack, which has been labeled an act of domestic terrorism. The attack is the deadliest mass shooting in United States history, the deadliest incident of violence against LGBT people in U.S. history, and the deadliest terrorist attack in the U.S. since September 11, 2001. So In order to guarantee that criminals, domestic abusers, the dangerously mentally ill and others are denied unchecked access to guns, the U.S. Congress should enact a federal law requiring universal background checks on all sales of firearms, including private sales. Considering these solutions would take American lives out of danger, not allowing psychotic people to run around with a gun and kill innocent Americans.                                                                                                                                                   

Samie Khan

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Control by Samie Khan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.