Dear President,

A lot of people are discriminated every day because of gender, and this is preventing a lot of people from moving on in life, holding them back and preventing opportunities. Please help us make a difference.

Here are some problems that people, male and female,  face in their daily life that they would like to change.

I (a male) have been in a lot of areas over time as I grew up, and almost no matter where I go, girls and women are mistreated. This really pains me because the only real difference between a man and a woman is the fact that they of opposite sex, and they are judged heavily on this. This really hurts me as a male to see women mistreated, and I would hope that they all had equal chances just like males, is all fields and in all financial assets. The reason it pains me so much is because a female has just as much potential as a male, but it is us males that don’t give women the power to prove this little fact that could change everyone forever. Females are so underestimated and they want to make a difference, an impact on society. But instead, in the work world even if it is women that dominated the job, men will still get paid more. What is justice, fairness, and equality?

From growing up in a male-dominated family, I(male) had never seen the two gender as equal. When the house needed cleaning or when the floor needed to be mopped, I have notice that the chores will always fall on my sister. To getting a girlfriend/boyfriend or even getting married was a very different conversation depending on your gender. For males, it’s always “make sure to get a wife that doesn’t talk that much” or “get a wife that clean the house and is obedient”. This backward way of thinking was embedded so deep in my parents that it’s beginning to rub off on my family.

Gender equality is a human right that everyone should have. At the end of the day, we (male and female) are humans. Women should live their lives in dignity and have the freedom they deserved. It’s also a precondition that advances the development and helps reduce poverty. “By showing examples from around the globe, applying interactive ways of sharing knowledge and working with renowned experts in this field, participants will gain a deeper understanding of gender dynamics and strategies for addressing the different needs and priorities of women, men, young girls, and boys.”

The gender pay gap is a statistical indicator of women’s and men’s earnings that compare the difference between the two wages. Women are labeled to be housewives and are stereotyped to do tasks such as cooking, cleaning, and taking care of  children.  Men are the foundation of the household and are labeled as hard working money makers. Today men and women can both get a higher education by attending college and working just as hard to work towards a degree in a specific field and yet when they graduate with the same degree and enter the workforce, they earn 5%  less than the other gender. For example, male registered nurses make more than $5,000 per year than female registered nurses. If progress continues at its current rate, it will take 45 years to eradicate the wage gap. When women’s wages are lowered due to gender discrimination, their families’ incomes are often significantly lowered as well.

Corbin Meier,  Maizong Lor,  Johnny Thao,  Jose Quintana, Nataly Llamas, Sophia Montalvo

Photo by Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gender Equality by Corbin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.