Dear Future President,

Well, you might be wondering why I am writing to you. As far as I know , you are the newest president but I have a concerning matter I feel should be looked at. I am a 17-year-old African-American female who strives to be the best I can be. In Fall 2016 I will be attending CSU Chico to major in Theater while minoring in Multimedia; Entertainment Industry. Because of my gender, I have to work much harder for my education and life just to meet the average success of a man, but not only do I have to work harder, I have to strive further to accomplish my goals. My issue is discrimination towards women of color. Not just African-American, but Mexicans, Native-Americans and others who have been deprived of their Human and God-given rights to be as equal as any other human-being. It’s honestly not far to ,as they would call it, to live in a “Man’s World”, women of color have come so far for our rights but we’re constantly still second priority to the world. From the Entertainment Industry, to politics,education and professional sector, there is a steady battle for women of color to reach the top. Today women of all walks of life are being dehumanized through entertainment and media. Men calling us out of our names, treating us like animals, even aggressively sexually harassing us. Why is this? It’s already hard for women to make it through the world but it’s rougher for those of color because we have to stand up taller. Men of my own color disown their women, but were raised by an African-American women; people who are different shades of black are believing they are better than one another. Recently I have applied for my high school alumni scholarship; a lot of students applied but only a few were going to be receiving an award. We all had to go through the same process of applying and interviews. As the day came to know who won, the majority of students who won the scholarship were Caucasian and the only colored person to win was a Mexican female. Other colored women have applied ,even men, but because of the majority of non-colored contestants who won, it was seen from a negative view from others. Everyone is so stuck on defining each other based on the color of our skin, that they never pay attention to who we are on in the inside. I can seriously go on and on about different ways women of color are mistreated but that’s not the point. All I ask is for the mainstream view of women to change , not just those who are colored but all in general. To show others we are all the same at the end of the day and we should be considered equal humans. Asking others, imagine if the script was flipped?

Endiya Jackson-Hill