Affordable College

Dear Future President,           
I think a major problem now is how much our education costs.The average tuition for college is $9,139. And including all other costs, college ends up to be thousands of dollars which most people don’t have. A college education is practically mandatory. By 2020, 65 percent of all jobs in the U.S. will require a post secondary education. So if young people do decide to go to college and spend thousands of dollars they come out of i with a lot of debt. That can really affect them in the future if they don’t pay off the loans they may have taken out on time. In places like Germany, Finland, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, college tuition is free.They treat education as it should be, a right and not just a privilege,. But, only one of these free-college countries does better than the United States. I think college should be an affordable price for students, enough to where if they were to receive financial aid they wouldn’t have an unmet need. Not necessarily free, because if the students didn’t care about class in high school, what would change to make them care about college classes? If they aren’t paying for it, they don’t care if they receive bad grades. So if we did pay for it, we would be more avid to receive outstanding grades.

This issue is important to me because my financial aid will not cover all of the expenses I have for college. So that means I will have to take out a few loans, which I will have to pay back as soon as possible by making small payments every month. And if I don’t make those payments, it will not be good for my future. I don’t think college students should have to stress about these things, they should just focus on their studies and their career choice. With affordable college, students wouldn’t have the need to take out loans.Without the stress of bill payments for loans, college students may be less pressured and can work harder on homework, therefore getting better grades. If college was affordable, I wouldn’t have to take out any loans because my financial aid would most likely cover it all.

Some ways we can achieve this goal of making college affordable is to is to increase grant awards or to give us more grants, just something you can give to us students so we don’t have the need to take out loans we absolutely need to pay for every month. Having thousands of dollars in debt is not okay and should be fixed immediately so we can have a good life after graduating college, rather than worrying about paying off our student loans in a timely manner.

Thank you so much for reading my letter. I appreciate it greatly and I hope you are able to do something about this issue.

Kindest Regards,
Whitney Wood

CC BY-SA 4.0 Affordable College by Whitney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.