June 27, 2016

Dear Future President,

This country is changing and as a freshman in college I’m scared of what will happen next with your presidency. All over media I witness all the hate that racial groups have against each other. I was the only Mexican girl in my class for years and I always felt like I never belonged there. The looks of disgust I got from my fellow classmates will always haunt me and I don’t want anyone else to experience this. I managed to overcome this and graduated as Salutatorian (second in my class), but what is going happen to someone who isn’t as strong as I have been.

The United States of America is facing difficult times. We are all supposed to be united and supporting each other through these hard situations. As I look into this country I start to notice that groups are being segregated. Problems within our own country are being created, those problems don’t have to exist. You as the face of the country should be the one to build bonds with each ethnic group instead of instigating against one another. Racial comments from you open doors for others to believe it’s okay to discriminate.

As the people of United States, we all have the freedom of speech, but during your speeches you should explain how to use our rights to help each other, not against each other. Our country is dividing and you should do something about it. All the  racial movements  that are occurring are causing a huge impact into our daily life.  I understand that it won’t be easy, but once the people of the United States see your dedication they will support you.

The United States has always been know as a melting pot. All types of cultures entering this country for the “American Dream” a dream that will be hard to obtain. Segregation of  racial groups is an obstacle to complete it. Mexicans known as immigrants or drug cartels leaders, Muslims know as terrorist,  Blacks known as thugs or criminals, Asians known as smart, and Whites have a lot of things in their favor while others are being discriminated against. I understand why people might assume these situations, but we should judge each person individually and not because of those who have committed crimes that are in the ethnic group.

We need this to stop. I have spent all my life having people judge me for my racial background. As a society we are going down the drain. Families are suffering because of this hate. The hate is taking control over our country. People live in fear of leaving their home and never coming back.  

I don’t understand how it’s possible to be in this situation. While other countries are having war with one another, we are having war within us. A war that creates the United States to be deadly like all the shootings that have occurred 9 in a church, 23 in restaurants, 26 in an elementary school, now 49 in nightclubs. In these acts of cruelty many lost their life for no reason. Hate made people go mad and destroyed a piece of our country.   

You need to step in and help stop this. I need you to be the first one to start this new movement. Change the way groups are being segregated. Tell the country to focus on individuality instead of judging everyone in one ethnicity for an act of one individual. I will be the change I want to see but I need your support and if you do the correct thing you will have mine. Thank you for your time and this wasn’t just a letter it’s a close up to what the new generation of voters is expecting from you. This is your opportunity to have your name in the history books it’s your choice whether it’s good or bad.

Vanessa Gomez-Camarillo

EOP Summer Bridge

CSU Chico  

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Melting Pot Dividing by Vanessa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aleni 1 year ago

Dear Vanessa:

I am excited about your post, “A melting pot dividing.”

I feel your pain i really do people are so quick to judge a person based on where you’re from or your skin tone but what they don’t think of is how much damage you can do to a person mentally. I feel as if people don’t realize that we’re all human beings. I went through similar experience when i was job corps there were a lot of racism there which led to me to fighting a lot. This is problem that can only be stopped by parents because a kid wouldn’t hate someone unless they get mistreated. Parents teach their children to hate black people or hispanic people and even white people we need to stop teaching kids to stop hating and teach them to love everyone

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We need this to stop. I have spent all my life having people judge me for my racial background. As a society we are going down the drain. Families are suffering because of this hate. The hate is taking control over our country.” I think this is a good quote because It does feel as if we are going down the drain. I feel like life is all messed up because we are all too focused on the other person we should all try and be friends and let the next person live how they want to.( stop judging and live life)

Another sentence that I liked was, ”As a society we are going down the drain.” This stood out for me because It does feel as if we are going down the drain. I feel like life is all messed up because we are all too focused on the other person we should all try and be friends and let the next person live how they want to.

I agree and disagree with you when you say that “problems within our own country are being created, those problems don’t have to exist. You as the face of the country should be the one to build bonds with each ethnic group instead of instigating against one another.”

I agree and disagree with you because people are against their own people but not because of their skin tone but because of personal issues like money and girls. But I do believe that we all need to be united and put all our disagreements aside and be united as one nation.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really enjoyed reading your post. You said many things that I agree with and many things that are true, Especially when you said that “ As a society we are going down the drain” because I see our society destroying itself on a daily basis.