Dear whomever this may concern,

Congrats on winning the election, I hoping I’m writing to Sanders or Clinton. But if i have the misfortune to write to Trump, then hello. To you this may seem strange because i’m apparently the “youth” that doesn’t care about politics or issues. Which isn’t exactly true. We care about a lot of things for instance Immigration, women health services, and police brutality. And those are just a few things off the top of my head. I would like to put emphasis on women’s health services. Focusing more on planned parenthood. Which is a very important service for women who don’t have the resources to go to kaiser or sutter. Closing planned parenthood would not only stop women from getting educated on their bodies, but would stop women from getting birth control or abortions. As people,  women should have the right to educate, or abort, etc If needed. Planned parenthood gives women a chance to educated themselves on their bodies by checkups, pamphlets and doctors/nurses. Some officials are trying to make a law/policy that planned parenthood can’t perform abortions. Unless the woman was raped, and to prove that she was raped she would have to go through another process. I strongly believe that this is wrong, because it’s not the government’s place to tell me or any other women that they can’t get rid of an unwanted pregnancy. It’s my body, and it shouldn’t be any one’s business of what i do with it.

Closing planned parenthood will not stop abortions, when abortions are illegal. It leads woman to resort to drastic measures, which would include suicide, performing the abortion themselves or having someone who’s not really a doctor perform it for you. Making abortions illegal doesn’t stop abortions, it makes women desperate and puts their lives at a huge risk. If the republican’s valued women’s lives they wouldn’t attempt to close resources that are viable for women.

Makynna Knockum

CC BY-SA 4.0 A letter to the next President… by Makynna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.